Yes OR No? D15B Head onto a D16z6 Block? Is this possible??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

petersonjt

I won one off ebay and need to make 100% sure this is doable. I cracked my z6 head. In the auction, the seller said it is so. I read one place I would need an acg? Is this true? Also, will I need to replace the head studs. I heard the factory are crap.

you are suposed to replace them but i never do on DD stock stuff and have never had a problem (knock on wood;) ) i also think that you will need the little piece that goes in the block to prevent oil from comming up im sure anyone that has done a mini me swap will be glad to give you one i always throw them away

Yes, it will work - the D15B (assuming vtec, i.e. JDM D15B) will drop right on, the head is exactly the same (mostly). If you are refering to a USDM D15B7 head (nonvtec), it will drop on, with the exception of the oil squirter. You will either need to buy a new one, or scrounge one up. That small little metal plug allows the flow of oil to mist over the rocker assembly on a non-vtec heads. Hence the small hole.

Yes, it will work - the D15B (assuming vtec, i.e. JDM D15B) will drop right on, the head is exactly the same (mostly). If you are refering to a USDM D15B7 head (nonvtec), it will drop on, with the exception of the oil squirter. You will either need to buy a new one, or scrounge one up. That small little metal plug allows the flow of oil to mist over the rocker assembly on a non-vtec heads. Hence the small hole.

As I am about to do this same swap on my z6, I am wondering what is everyones take on this? Does anyone know the difference between the z6 head and the d15b head?

As far as I know, they're identical.

I had to change the head gasket on my D15B Vtec (I have the whole swap) and I used a Z6 gasket.

BUT, I very well COULD be wrong. I know for a fact the D15B has unique pistons (and maybe rods, too) and a few other unique features but I haven't heard anything about the head being unique, I've actually read that the heads on these engines are identical. But I've never messed with a Z6 so I don't know, also, make sure the head is the same OBD as yours. And if it's a 3-stage vtec, then congrats, you just bought a slower engine :).

As I am about to do this same swap on my z6, I am wondering what is everyones take on this? Does anyone know the difference between the z6 head and the d15b head?

This thread is over two years old. Start a new thread.

As far as I know, they're identical.

I had to change the head gasket on my D15B Vtec (I have the whole swap) and I used a Z6 gasket.

BUT, I very well COULD be wrong. I know for a fact the D15B has unique pistons (and maybe rods, too) and a few other unique features but I haven't heard anything about the head being unique, I've actually read that the heads on these engines are identical. But I've never messed with a Z6 so I don't know, also, make sure the head is the same OBD as yours. And if it's a 3-stage vtec, then congrats, you just bought a slower engine :).

I got the head for free.

Agreed! My take is the D15b is fun motor and so is the z6 both good SOHC starter motors :)

Yeah, I just need my car to run for the time being.

This thread is over two years old. Start a new thread.

Is it that serious? There was information already here, I figured this would be a good place to start beacause of that.

Back