yet again toying with the idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

well im going to wait until next spring to buy a new car so ill have about 10k cash to put on downpayment.

and so ive started spending money on the sol again, finally lowering it and putting a few other new misc items in.

and now im toying with the idea of boosting it again.

i know the turbo vs super arguement is old and worn out, but a few things to consider.

1- i have 0 experience with FI
2- i dont want 893745893745 whp. im looking for low 13's 1/4, 13.9 would even make me happy.

ive read of b16 sols with bolt on supers + b20 pulleys (bumps up like 2 more lbs of boost) running high 12's

id rather not go into building the block and all that shit unless i have to. so basically im wondering.

easiest and most cost effective way to get 7-10 psi?

would i be better off building a turbo kit based around a t3 or just going super?

i could get a super for 2500-3k.
seems like i could piece together a simple turbo kit for under 2 grand.

would the ease of use and lack of maintenance required for the super outweigh the initial start up cost?

need some help :p

and are all these xs power and ss autochrome kits on ebay worth a shit? full kits for 500-1000 bucks. doesnt seem right ;)

and are all these xs power and ss autochrome kits on ebay worth a shit? full kits for 500-1000 bucks. doesnt seem right

No

would the ease of use and lack of maintenance required for the super outweigh the initial start up cost?

maintenance? for either setup, you're talking about changing your oil, that's it man. Neither one of them needs any specific maintenance, so I'm not really sure what you mean. With the turbo you def. need to change your oil at regular intervals, but otherwise, I can't see how the cost of maintained a supercharger is going to be any different than a turbo

only experience i have with FI is on my friends tt supra. every month he is tearing something up. of course running 25 psi might have something to do with it.

so pretty much the only difference between turbo and super (in practice not on paper) is instant boost off the line or having to wait for turbo to spool. lag shouldnt be an issue on a t3.

what trim should i look for?
im just looking for enough hp to geth in the 13's, 215-230 whp prolly

IMO, why bother?

you've stressed several times that you are just going to sell the thing anyway.... why waste money on it?

as much as ive talked about selling it i still love this damn car and wanna keep it. :\

originally when i was shopping for a new car i was gonna get one with a better platform and throw money into it and didnt see a reason to keep the del sol.

now im thinking about keeping new car stock when i buy it (next spring) and keeping the sol to play with. and since i decided against buyng a bike im just putting that money into the sol.

my friends keep pressuring me to keep the sol because they all love it. they all get a kick out of it when i beat a v8, now i wanna be able to beat built v8's :p

ill admit its somewhat from the pressure of friends, theres not many fast imports around (except sto/evo/srt4's). and i do love the idea of sleepers and shit, and as much as my car frustrates me sometimes, i love driving it.

and besides, im selling the rex and my friend is finally gonna pay me for the 300zx turbo hes been driving for a year.

im doing better financially now then ever. put money into stocks every week, and have plenty of spending cash left over to play with.

ive always wanted to boost it and now im in the position to do it. so im like fuck it why not? :p

6-7 psi, 2600 shipped... go with an JRSC. :ph34r:

Coming from Steve's experiences, the car was more streetable and the roots blower gave instant power.

Edit: if you have the time and want to put forth the energy to piece a turbo kit together, go that way if it comes up cheaper than the JRSC or any actual turbo kit.

looks like i could easily do it for half that by putting together my own turbo kit.

Originally posted by micah@May 7 2005, 03:26 AM
looks like i could easily do it for half that by putting together my own turbo kit.
[post=496226]Quoted post[/post]​

You just answered your own question then :thumbsup:

All you'd need to do is find yourself a properly sized turbo for the B16.

.48/.60 t3 should be good right?
full boost below 4k and holds it to redline.

i should be able to break 200 whp below 10psi pretty easy with this, no?

i don't have time to do the math, or search for similar setups, but turbo math is easy, and if you take the time, you'll see whether the turbo can provide the airflow necessary to make that power

imo, you probably won't even need 10 psi

well ive been reading alot on homemadeturbo.com and it seems this one is constantly reccomended for b16s

ive looked at all the math and compression maps and shit and well its kinda confusing ;)

i dont have excel or id just dl the guys prog he made that does it all for you.

so would a .48 hot(compressor) and .60 cold (turbine) side be what i want? or do i have that mixed up? and 60 trim should be good or is that too big for stock b16?

and should i got t3, t3/t40e, or just t4?

gimme some advice! :p

no.. you got it all backwards... lol

you want the 48 on the turbine to give you quicker spool
and you wan tthe 60 on the compressor to give you better boost up top

ohh, and 60 trim is not 60 a/r. :)

lol thanks for clearing that up :)

so a 60 trim .48/.60 t3 is fine for a stock b16?

i want boost pretty fast but my engine revs fast enough its not that big an issue.

full boost by 3500 and holding till redline would be fine by me :)

b16 manifolds hard to come by for the gt28rs or whatever the disco is?

and exactly how much of a difference is there between a log and elm style manifold? i mean i hear that "it flows better" never seen any side by side dyno sheets to show if there is any actual hp gains for spending 3 times as much on an elm manifold.

and keep in mind when your making reccomendations that im only shotting for ~250 whp ;)

thanks for the advice :)

Back