1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another... car won't start / runs funny thread

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Hexen, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hexen

Hexen Senior Member

Okay, here is the deal.

Two weeks ago I get in my car, drive it down to the super market to pick up some food and when I get back in, the car will not start.
    It was cranking but not turning over.

So I left it there for a few days.

I get back to in a few days later, it starts up fine first try. So I'm driving it home and about a mile down the road it starts to idle funny and after about 30 seconds or so it dies and I have to push it a couple blocks to my place (fun). Car won't start... same symptoms as above.

A few days later I go out, it starts fine... I let it idle for about 10 minutes and it runs, but as soon as I try to back it out of the parking spot it dies and once again... same symptoms as above.

I replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the problem. Apparently it wasn't. It started up and idled for about 15 minutes, choked up and died again.
    The ECU is not throwing any codes and I pulled out the main relay and nothing is shaking around inside there and none of the solder joins are 'cold'.

So I'm stumped. I've been conversing with B16 over the phone and he is also stumped as to what it could be (he was thinking Fuel Pump or O2 sensor). I disconnected the O2 and tried to start it, but no change and it threw the O2 code when disconnected (leading me to believe that the o2 sensor is fine).

The heat doesn't get over 1/4 of the way up so I don't think it is overheating or anything. It has pleanty of gas in it... so yea... anyone have any ideas?

2. brc80

brc80 Senior Member

My car was doing the same thing. It turned out to be my map sensor, and my pgmfi relay.

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

have you check the normal shit (plugs cap rotor wires injectors pluged

4. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

I am going to suggest checking out the main relay. Do a search on here someone posted a link to how to repair a damaged main relay.

5. Hexen

Hexen Senior Member

Did your ECU throw a code when the MAP sensor went out?
    It shouldn't start back up if the MAP goes out right? I mean at all.

Other than visual inspection is there some sort of way to know if this thing has gone bad?

6. Hexen

Hexen Senior Member

7. brc80

brc80 Senior Member

No it didnt, i would idle fine and even drive slow all day, but the second i tried to give it some gas (like more then 1/2 throttle) it would just die.

8. Hexen

Hexen Senior Member

Well.

Fuel Pump replaced, PGMFI relay replaced, spark plugs replaced, fuel and air filters replaced.... working on the o2 sensor but I can't get it out.
    But I don't think that is the problem anyhow.

It will still start and run after sitting for a while, but if you turn it off or let it idle for about 10-15 minutes and it dies, it will not start back up until the next day or so.

My logic is that something is killing the fuel injectors for some reason, or something is killing the air supply so it's either flooding or choking. There's no black smoke though so if it is flooding it isn't bad.

9. IT-R Coupe

IT-R Coupe Junior Member

did you ever get this problem worked out? did you check into the distributor at all?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted