yet another problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skimboard71104

i was driving the other day and my car shut off out of nowhere. i tried turnin it on a couple times but didnt work. i waited about 5 min then it turned back on and i drove it home. as soon as i got home it shut off by itself now everytime i turn it on it shuts off very couple minutes :mad:. i dont know what the problem could be im thinkin maybe fuel pump but i honestly dont know does anyone have any suggestions??

Replace it. It's located above the dead pedal under the dash. It is held up there by one bolt. Buying new will be expensive. You can always try going to a junk yard to get it.

In my experience, the ignitor failing can give the same symptoms as a failing main relay at first glance. If you hear your fuel system pressurize when you turn your ignition to run, it's unlikely that its the main relay. I replaced the main relay, coil, and eventually the ignitor on two of my EGs before the problem was resolved... ended up being the ignitor both times.

i bought the new main relay and this time the car didnt even come on so im gunna try to return it to get my money back and do what you said murray. i called pep boys and they said they dont have anything under ignitor whats the exact part that i need.

Last edited:
The igniter will start off as an intermittent problem and eventually just won't start. It will die for no apparent reason without sputtering, popping and farting lol. it's located in the distributor.

It's really easy. just undo the 3 screws holding the distributor cap on, then its just two star screws holding the ignitor in. Disconnect the slide on connectors, pull it out, then reverse with the new one.

Back