you build my car ideas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BIGROB90

hey friends.
so i just inherited a good bit of money and am wanting all of you to tell me how to spend it car wise....either build my crx(list of all parts below) or on a new car/used but i want something unique money isnt nothing lol..

crx:jdm b16a,skunk2 pro intake,7mm t/b,hasport mounts,hasport shiftlinkage,chasebays wire harness,auto technics sway bars,full suspension,75shot nitrous,si wheels,real mugen body kit,and other mods...

so feel free to tell me your imput thanks...

Why a Honda? If that's just what you want, then cool. Otherwise, they can be a Money Pit - meaning if you opt to sell and go another direction, a built Honda probably won't be worth anywhere near your investment in time and money. Depending upon your investment of course.

I have a slightly build '91 civic hatchback (consider it Stage 1) - it's a good little runabout and is my daily driver. Personally, I wouldn't dump a bunch of money in a Honda. That's not to crap on your idea by any means. If that's what you really want, then do it to it and enjoy it! By a bunck of money I'm talking more than $10 grand. $10 grand, spent wisely can build a real nice ride with a fully rebuilt engine and tranny - cleaned up and painted too.

If this is your first Hot Rod build, then take it easy. Build the chassis up real nice, suspenstion, busings, brakes, sway bars, tower strut bars, etc. I wouldn't go past about 200whp for power for a first timer on the street - or drag strip as that much power in a small front wheel drive car is a handful. A JDM B16A will run great and a 75 shot of nitrous will rock.

My little civic has maybe a little over 150 SAE HP at the flywheel and will light up the 195/50-15 front tires in 1st gear just hammering the pedal to the floor and if shifted hard into second will burn em up nicely - it's probably 125-130 WHP.

Your list looks good to me.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
I agree with Dual... I have about 25-30k invested into my DD 92 hatch... Read my post in the B18C1 turbo thread in this forum category... It's rediculous, but thats what I wanted to do with MY money. So this all is up to you. I'm on my third different motor (not counting stock) cuz I didn't "plan" on going bigger and bigger each time I did one. I built a diffferent engine according to what I wanted at the time. You know how much I could get for my car, realistically? 5-8 grand, IF I'm lucky. Fact is, it's still a 92 Civic Hatch despite all the money, time, body, and engine. I built it for me, to drive and have fun with. I also got a supra tt with over 50k into that. That started as a daily driver too. This civic was supposed to take it's place as a DD that I wasn't going to molest at all. I live in New England, so I have a winter vehicle too, so by DD I mean spring-fall and the occasional nice day in the winter. This civic was just going to be driven on days the Supra didnt come out of the garage. I'm blessed to have a wife with family money. I wouldn't have any toys if it werent for her, I'd be lucky to have a stock mid-nineties Accord. Cars to me and others are like a disease, I caught it and have to live with it...

So it's alll up to you, either way just be sure of your decision. Be sure it's a car you love and are going to still love a few years down the road. If you wanted to dump all your money into a Pinto cuz you LOVE Pinto's, then I'd say go for it. I'm happy with my decision to do so. I will say this though too... My wife and I own a home; outrright... No mortgage, no rent.... just taxes and maintenence. If I didn't, or my kids were a year away from college and needed tuition, or some other, more important "cost of living" expense was more important, I would focus more on that than a CRX, or any car for that matter. I hope whatever you decide it's a decision that makes you happy and you can live with for years to come... good luck

just get 3.2 or 3.5 v6 from like Odyssey and you will be happy and you can spend lots of money for that kind of swap

^ Thanks Rob.

I know one thing for sure - over the years I've found is that there are times we can think all we want about something and never know the outcome of a decision until it's made.

When I bought my racing karts back in 2002 was one of those times. I overbought and spent $10 grand on two used karts - a 125cc Rotax and a 125cc shifter. And another $6k on a truck to haul them in. The shifter was mine and the Rotax was owned by me and a friend 50/50. Ran them for about 2 years and lost interest. Too much hassle, $200 a year for club dues, maintenance expenses, racing gas and on and one. And they give you a beating. I'm keeping the shifter chassis and selling the entire Rotax setup.

Now I have a mini-bike I've got about a grand in. Probably have $1500 in it, maybe $2k in the end when the engine is swapped and disc brakes front and rear.

I was a dirt biker in the younger days and found I like off roading more than running on a race track. My first killer toy was a 1964 Fox Campus miini-bike I got for Christmas back in 1965 - it was used. Most fun I ever had was riding that thing - got into dirt bikes in the 70's. Hadn't rode a trail bike in over 30 years and when I hopped on to the Puma 200 pictured below had a blast. In fact, I'll probably go out for a cruise around the neighborhood in a few minutes and it's 9:09pm. Haha - we used to take the dirt bikes out at night - we would do it on Saturday nights for a Midnight Run - I have reinstituted the ritual of the legendary Midnight Run.

Go figure.

Whatever you do, plan it. You are clearly doing that by posting this thread. Do a complete build and match suspension and handling to power. Over 250hp and I'd go with a roll bar and 5 point harness, racing seats, etc. Don't fergit the safety stuff and just bolt up a turbocharger under the hood.

;)

Serengeti%20Puma%20200.jpg

b18c1, turbo kit, lsd, suspension, tires, and brakes. not much more else to do with a honda. for the money you will spend to get crazier stuff, you wont see a dramatic increase in results.

Don't know your budget, but IMO if the CRX isn't making you any money itself(ie: it's basically your DD), I'd focus that money elsewhere, maybe something more comfortable; Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

To me, many fwd Hondas are more "entry-level" cars as far as fast street cars go, and are only worth building if they're going to be racing in a certain class.

Classic car. Buy one that is rust free and has nice paint. The hard work is done. Do the go fast stuff your way. Parts are plentiful, they are easy to work on, and they hold their value. I'm thinking about getting either a 64.5-68 mustang or 240z next year...

Either a ls1 240sx or a rb26 old school fox body mustang, both are weird twisted cross hybrid swaps I've laid on to in the last years, and my boner quickly followed.

Back