You know what grinds my gears...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
Between 1st and 2nd is pretty bad, going up or down. I tried adjusting the clutch cable all over the place and no difference.

If you shift too fast between 1st and 2nd it grinds and if you down shift from 2nd to 1st it grinds too. You have to wait and feel it pop into place before you put it right into gear, then it doesn't grind.

Just what I thought.

I was going to replace the fluid with GM SyncroMesh first.

Also if I double clutch from 2nd to 1st its fine.

I do have a short shifter too, but its only been in for like 500 miles. Matts shifter is even shorter than mine and it doesn't grind.

i dont kno why ppl say that short shifters ruin trannys..
but im guessing its syncros cuz the double clutching

well if the grind isnt to bad and just started you could try putting syncromesh in it..ive heard of ppl doing so and it corrects the problem..again its not guaranteed

I was going to say, before reading any of the posts, "bad syncros"

I'm going to tell you right now, drain the fluid out, and get some GM Synchromesh in there.

I put it in my B16 trans in my hatch because third was grinding almost constantly, and it started to develop a grind going into fifth gear as well.

I put the GM Synchromesh in there, drove it for 500 miles and the grinds slowly started getting better until they were completely gone and now my transmission shifts smoother than ever, even at high RPMS.

I was going to say "some asshat who is granny shifting, not double clutching like he should." Oh well.

I adjusted my clutch cable again and it grinds a bit less but I was so used to the way it was. :(

What do you guys pay for syncromesh?

Back