You Make The Tuner Call!

OK, I've gathered all the information needed to install my shocks and springs. It's time to

• Keep it??

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care!!

• Change your mufler bearings!&#

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
Granted I can't pull my AC so long as I live in TX, but every little bit helps.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@May 13 2003, 08:02 PM

Wuss

I live in Southern New Mexico. It was 98 degrees here today. I don't have any AC and it is fine.

Keep that shit, imagine coming home at 4 or 5 in the morning and have to strain to friggin' turn the wheel, or if you're just randomly lazy like me,screw that. It aint worth it IMO.

Originally posted by lsvtec+May 13 2003, 10:09 PM-->
Silverchild79
@May 13 2003, 08:02 PM

Wuss

I live in Southern New Mexico. It was 98 degrees here today. I don't have any AC and it is fine.

sorry mang, but I'm from the GREAT.... (pause for effect), pacific northwest. It's like Cali but without sales tax, cali laws, and self service gas stations (pump my own gas??) So as long as I'm here in (spit) Texass, I'll require it for the summer.

dude, it's not hard to turn the wheel when without power steering. It is so worth it to take it out. The only time it's really hard to turn the wheel is when your stopped.

It's not even hard then. PS on a Honda is kind of a waste. I have no problems driving my parents 67 Mustang which has no PS and weighs much more than a Honda.

I meant the AC, I want the PS gone myslef. Just wanted to test the waters and see if it was worth the work. I guess the next step is finding some kinda job guide. I'll post pics once the civ is lowered.

"removing" the power steering is a little more involved than you think.

two choices-
A- swap the entire rack- a piece that isn't exactly easy to get at, and isn't fun from what i hear.
B- remove the pump, and loop the fluid line so that the rack stays lubed.

B saves you 15 lbs tops.
A saves you about 20-25.

is it really worth it?

costs little to nothing to do it
it gets rid of weight
it frees up more power for the wheels
it gives better road feel

id say its worth it :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 13 2003, 11:32 PM
"removing" the power steering is a little more involved than you think.

two choices-
A- swap the entire rack- a piece that isn't exactly easy to get at, and isn't fun from what i hear.
B- remove the pump, and loop the fluid line so that the rack stays lubed.

B saves you 15 lbs tops.
A saves you about 20-25.

is it really worth it?

B is worth it. You lose weight and get some HP free'd up. I say go 4 it

Peace, Theron <_<

ok... fuck that. i will never lose my AC or my PS. i will always have black vehicles so you can shove an 18 wheeler in your ass if you think you can talk me into dropping my AC. you drop your power steering, wow. you drop what, 10lbs? gain what, 2hp? fuck that. the way i see it, losing your power steering with an attempt to go faster is a complete waste on a street car. you're going to wish like hell you had power steering when it comes to small parking lots. i'd slap the shit out of one of my friends if they talked about losing their power steering because they want to be faster. that's nonsense. on top of it all, i GUARENTEE you get more props if your fast car has power steering and AC, you can take that to the bank.

Keep the A/C. God knows I wish I could keep mine, but with all the turbo crap under my hood, it's impossible.

As far as P/S, you need to do 2 or three things before pulling it.

Buy some new rack bushings, and either find or buy a new NON-Power Assist rack. Power assist racks have valving in them that works really well with a power steering pump attached, but when the pump is not working, those valves make it 2 to 3 times harder to turn the wheels because of pressurizations.

Get a rack from a Del Sol S, if you have a Sol, or from a Civic CX if you have a Civic or Integra coupe sedan or otherwise. They're not cheap. Expect to pay $250 for a new one (NOT through the dealership).

Also be sure to plan to have a few hours on you hands to remove it properly. There's a lot involved. I think you even have to go as far as partially dropping the rear crossmember to get at some of the bolts. Let's not forget that you WILL need an alignment afterward, because the tie rod ends must be swapped over, also.

if you are going to lose the PS do it the right way and get a manual rack. Looping the lines is fucking gay. Or go buy a DX which doesn't have PS to begin with. No power steering gives you such better road feel

Keep the AC. It's a must in Texas. I'm going to hate the CRX when it gets even hotter...

Eric- there's a HUGE difference between the dry heat in New Mexico and the super wet nasty humid heat in Texas that doesn't even let you sweat at 80 degrees.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 14 2003, 08:36 AM
Keep the AC. It's a must in Texas. I'm going to hate the CRX when it gets even hotter...

Eric- there's a HUGE difference between the dry heat in New Mexico and the super wet nasty humid heat in Texas that doesn't even let you sweat at 80 degrees.

:)
I know, I was just giving him shit. I have had a few people complain that my car doesn't have AC here. To that I say "If you wanted AC, you should have driven."

Originally posted by Calesta@May 14 2003, 04:36 PM

Oh ya there is,I'd gladly live in 120 degree dry heat than 100 degree with 90 percent humidity.

i have never had a car with PS, but i have driven them, and definitely prefer going without it. As for the AC, I have never used it. I didn't even really need it when I went through Vegas last Summer.

Back