Your Christmas Trees this year ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

After reading this news story, I was just curious. And would you care if your state house had a plastic one from China? :lol:

<--- Me, no tree at all because it's just me and my pets in my apartment. A few strands of twinkle lights and a wreath is enough for me. And would prefer a real one in my state house.
Plastic Christmas Tree Shakes Texas Politics

DALLAS (Reuters) - The speaker of the Texas House of Representatives is under fire and having his Lone Star State pride questioned, all because he decorated the House floor with a giant made-in-China plastic Christmas tree.

The state's tree growers are up in arms and crying 'Bah Humbug' over the 15-foot polyvinyl chloride tree that Speaker Tom Craddick, a Republican from the west Texas town of Midland, had installed on the House floor.

They have supplied the State House with free trees and are ready to bring in a Texas-grown tree to replace the plastic model.

"I think people can deduce for themselves about what it means to have a plastic Christmas tree from China in the Texas State House," said Lanny Dreesen, a spokesman for the Texas Christmas Tree Growers Association.

Texas Christmas tree growers produce about 150,000 trees a year and Dreesen said the trees are crops that are grown for the sole purpose of being harvested for the holidays. There has been a real Texas tree on the House floor for over 20 years.

The Christmas tree in question is a top-of-the-line plastic model that came with 3,500 lights and a retail price of $3,400. It looks like an Oregon fir and was donated to Nadine Craddick, the speaker's wife, by a store in Austin.

"It is a beautiful tree. It is well decorated and it is really hard to tell the difference," said Bob Richter, spokesman for the House speaker.

Maintenance crews at the House are happy about the plastic model because they do not have to clean up pine needles or fend off the occasional bug.

"It is like a dirty little secret. A lot of people are using artificial trees now," Richter said.

Actually we don't have our tree up yet :) , but it's real. Never had a fake tree in my life.

Are house is too small... and we live in a duplex... so you know a little cramped. However our neighbor did put up lights on the outside of our duplex, I helped the little boys next door decorate the tree outside with lights though. Im not much into christmas becuase I wont be here for one and secondly the one I want to spend it with, well her parents hate me so that'll never happen... at least not this year.

i'm selling real tree's. come buy one from me! B)

it sucks though, boss wants me to work 63 hours this week.

i worked 41 hours in the last 3 days *fri, sat, and sun.* that was fun.

None. my parents dont put up a tree in the house...basically cause my dad took our original fake tree to the office, and then when my mom bought another one, my brother took it. :lol:

Real. It's all about that pinetree smell in the house during christmas.

Real, but I prefer a plastic one since it's cheaper in the long run and isn't a pain to clean up.

but I do like the smell of the real tree.

I miss living in Oregon where all you had to do was go out into the woods and cut one down :)

<-- Allergic to real trees
<-- Has cats that would climb real trees
<-- Always had a fake tree, no tree this year though.

Back