Your opinion on H22a Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

u n v me23

My brother wants to swap an h22a into his 95 honda accord ex. Would I be easier to swap an OBD1 or OBD2 engine into it?

Last edited:
What if you want more power from an OBD II type engine.. say Type-S or Accord Euro-R? How difficult is the swap into a 94 accord? And what about turbo for these engines?

You can rewire or swap harnesses, and run the correct ECU or use a OBD1/OBD2 conversion harness.

If you're going to turbo, a basic H22A out of a prelude would work just fine since the higher compression in the higher models isn't ideal and costs more. If you're set on Type-S or Euro-R motor, they'll still take boost fine.

I'm not to familiar with the F and H family but I've heard that the H doesn't take well to boost. I don't remember what the reason was, maybe thin sleeves. Some people will say cause of the rather high compression ratio, ignore that if you have a good tuner or trust whoever you deal with.

I'm not to familiar with the F and H family but I've heard that the H doesn't take well to boost. I don't remember what the reason was, maybe thin sleeves. Some people will say cause of the rather high compression ratio, ignore that if you have a good tuner or trust whoever you deal with.

Yeah, it's because of the sleeves. They're made from FRM, which is lightweight and plenty strong enough to handle the motor's stock output, but not really very ideal for boosted applications.

Like you said though, it's still ok to boost on an H22, you just need to keep it at a very reasonable level and make sure it's tuned well (which should be a requirement for any forced-induction setup anyway).

Yeah, it's because of the sleeves. They're made from FRM, which is lightweight and plenty strong enough to handle the motor's stock output, but not really very ideal for boosted applications.

Like you said though, it's still ok to boost on an H22, you just need to keep it at a very reasonable level and make sure it's tuned well (which should be a requirement for any forced-induction setup anyway).

i want to see proof!

its not the sleeves that are the problem with boosted h22's. the ring lands and rod bolts are. the ring lands are weak and can break. look on hondatech there are guys running 300-350 whp on stock internals. St00pid from texas had a 532whp h22 (stock long block) and it ran for 8 months with 45+ passes down the track. it broke when a valvespring broke and dropped the valve.

I have yet to see pictures of the frm sleeves split or broken unless a rod gave out and puched a hole.

However, the h22 is not ideal for boost. can it be done reliably yes but you could spend that money on a g22 or g23 and boost that with forged internals and make 350-400 hp much more reliably than with a stock h22.

h22's love nitrous and n/a.

Back