z1/z6 minime turbo build ,need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gsrcivic9

i have a d15z1 block with a d16z6 head. i put a adjustable cam gear on it to compensate for the half tooth off issue. but i dont know if im supposed to time the cam as a z1 or a z6 since they have different marks. ive been searching every writeup and posting i can find but nothing says anything with a z1 block. as of right now its running timed as a z6 with the cam gear being off 4.75 degrees after being set at 0 to catch the belt. i tired the best i could to set base timing but the motor idles to bad to get a good reading. i bleed to whole coolant system over and over and i even swaped iacv's. i even ordered a new custom base map for my setup and that hasnt helped the surging idle and the too rich condition at idle, also there is no power loss and it runs great at higher rpms, just at idle under 1k it wont run right.
please if anyone knows the exact specs the z1/z6 minime is supposed to be set at let me know!!!!

adj cam gear should be advanced 4.75* from stock Z6 setting.
sounds like your 1 tooth off, barely idling after engine warms up.

ok got it running last night after a frustrating day of troubleshooting. my first problem was i found that the q31 transistor in my p28 ecu was burnt. i removed it and soldered a new one in. dont know why it was burnt but car was running perfect before , and i new removed the im from car just unbolted and moved it back a few inches, and i rechecked the iacv and purge valve wires and they were correct. but afgter i replaced it it started running alot better. then i was able to adjust the cam gear to 5 degrees advanced were it ran best and then timed the dizzy to 16 degrees and now its running good. also my turbo is spooling alot faster and sooner and i got alot more power at low end too. i was skeptical about this z1/z6 build but it worked out better for the turbo set up with the custom basemap than i thought.

this thread is 2.5 years old
the OP has not been here in about 2.5 years
i dont think you will be getting a reply from him on this

What was Ur horsepower like I'm doing the same build

Honestly, I'd estimate the same as any other D15/Z6 "mini-me" setup that's tuned well- but there are too many variables when you add boost to figure out what kind of power you're going to make. Everybody tunes differently.

Back