Z6/A1/Y7 blocks worth it for a D16Y8?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jexxr

I've already searched around, and found the difference of the non D16y8 blocks, as far as them lubricating more effectively... But there were also some rumors of better compression using a different head? I recently pulled an engine in awesome condition from Pick-A-Part, only 103k on it. I plan on swapping almost all moving internals out for performance parts in a big rebuild and boost project, but I'll post my plans with that later. My question is, since It's ridiculously hard for me to find a relatively clean, non rusted/cracked block that ISN'T a Y8... is it worth it to drop 400-1200 more on a refurbished z6/a1/y7/d15 block? I don't really want money to be the end all here, but I already have a really nice D16Y8... I'm just wondering if the cash cut is worth a little better lube, and MAYBE a small bit of compression. Keeping in mind I'm not going for a 10 second honda or anything, I want to boost 10-18 and not looking for more than 300whp in the long run, I think even that may be overkill since I don't plan on drag with it, only hard driving. Facts and opinions would be awesome.

Not worth it for the Y7 as the Y7 and Y8 blocks are exactly the same except for the oil pan and the pistons. Y7 pan holds more oil and I believe that the pistons are slightly higher in compression when compared with the Y8 ones. Also if you are going to rebuild everything anyway than why bother buying a refurbished block.

Not worth it for the Y7 as the Y7 and Y8 blocks are exactly the same except for the oil pan and the pistons. Y7 pan holds more oil and I believe that the pistons are slightly higher in compression when compared with the Y8 ones. Also if you are going to rebuild everything anyway than why bother buying a refurbished block.

I would only have to rebuild from the block up if it was redone well. Don't both the a1 and z6 blocks have 2 oil channels on the journals instead of one?

D16A1 blocks are not a replacement for any of the SOHC D16 engines - different trnsmission attaching bolt pattern - different mounts - A1 driver's side mount is on the front side (toward the radiator) of the block, not on the end - there are no holes on the end of the block to bolt a mount onto it

Back