Z6 block in my 98(Y8) Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beano135

I have a '98 civic EX with the Y8 engine and a blown botttom end.
I did the research to find out I can bolt my head to a Z6 block which I went ahead and purchased.
My idea here is to get this car in good running order again with a low budget, I'm not looking for performance, just reliability. I'm not looking to buy another Y8 engine cause I hear of frequent bottom end problems(correct me if I'm wrong) and buying a Z6 block and putting the pieces together would cost me much less then $800 for a Y8 and be more reliable(I hear).
Enough of that. My problem is the figuring out how to swap over the crank position sensor that the Y8 has but Z6 does not. Does the computer actively use the signal for this AND fail to run the car if this is left off/unplugged?
I can think of a few possible options. I'm hoping and open for other thoughts on this scenario.
Does anyone know if the 96-00 oil pump will bolt to the 95 and older block? That would give me the spot to bolt my knock sensor on.

i've heard of this swap once before and i may be wrong but i do believe with some degree of certainty lol, that you can swap the oil pump over.

and yes you'll have issues i'm fairly certain if you don't plug this sensor in

Back