Z6 into a 92-95 DX? How easy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SRT_Andy

I've never done a swap before, but I believe this should be an easy one. The question I have is what do I need to have to do this? I would think the axles and fuel system to be the sam, what about the motor mounts? Any insight into this would be appreciated! Oh, this will be a manual tranny setup - will I need a new tranny or can I use the DX one?

The setup is pretty easy. Just needs to add a couple wires for vtec. I not sure but I think your car is prewired for vtec so you could just use the d16z6 engine harness instead, but don't hold me to that one. You could use your DX tranny but it would be better for accelerating and speed if you got an EX/SI. You will need a new ecu (p28), but do NOT need new motor mounts. Where do you live?

Ya know what would be even better a MINI ME swap. That just envolves putting a vtec head on your non-vtec bottom. That would be my vote.

:werd:

if it's a 92, your car is already wired for vtec- Any of the other years will require you to wire for vtec- THe mounts will work, the axles will work, the dx trans will work, just add the vtec wire and the P28 ecu and you're set

this is probably the easiest honda swap in the book :)

you just joined yesterday and now you wanna know stuff like this?
YOU"RE JUST USING US!!! :bawling: :weep:
:lol:

Originally posted by stmotorsports@Nov 19 2004, 05:30 PM
you just joined yesterday and now you wanna know stuff like this?
YOU"RE JUST USING US!!! :bawling: :weep:
:lol:
[post=419403]Quoted post[/post]​

HA HA HA! I'm looking to buy a 92 DX, but I'm trying to find out what I can do to it first. I'm one of the Moderators at the Turbo D16 forum (ScrappyDoo) and most of the people there swap to B series motors (if they swap), otherwise they already have a worthy D. I have a dealer account with AEBS and plan on going with their T sleeves and possibly a Pauter rod / Ross piston combo at 9:1 CR on the Z6 with a Precision turbo setup. My friend makes manifolds, so I'm pretty much set there. The other stuff is just trivial.

I appreciate all the info and knew I'd get a fast response here! Anyone know where I can get a Z6 motor/tranny? ;)

Oh, one more question: will the DX tranny bolt up to the Z6? I imagine it would, but just want to know for sure. It would make a huge difference on how fast I put this together.

Yes it will bolt up... but the long gears will make your engine upgrade seem like it didn't help much. Get the EX transmission if you can buy it with the engine.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 19 2004, 10:02 PM
Yes it will bolt up... but the long gears will make your engine upgrade seem like it didn't help much. Get the EX transmission if you can buy it with the engine.
[post=419510]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, it won't be a "normal" upgrade. There wil be a little "extra" in it. :D I'll end up getting an EX tranny and having it sent to CA. It will be hardened with an LSD.

Yeah i swapped a Z6 into my VX hatch and kept the vx transmmission. HUGE mistake, gear ratio is terrible. Accordingly I am now in the market for an ex transmission.

Well, I ended up getting a D16Y8 block with cylinder head for $400. I suppose this will drop in just as easy as the Z6 would. Just need a P28 ECU and a conversion harness.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Nov 18 2004, 11:36 PM
?

Ya know what would be even better a MINI ME swap. That just envolves putting a vtec head on your non-vtec bottom. That would be my vote.
[post=418998]Quoted post[/post]​

and thats exactly what im doing..i got a 91 crx si,with a swapped 94 dx motor..and i just bought a 93 del sol z6 head,im prolly gonna put it on next week,mini me is the way to go if you dont feel like spending a lot of loot on a b series engine..but then again..the z6 bottom end has aftermarket rods,pistons,etc...which means u can build a stronger bottom end for turbo..but u should just do a mini me.

Originally posted by SRT_Andy@Nov 22 2004, 11:49 PM
Well, I ended up getting a D16Y8 block with cylinder head for $400. I suppose this will drop in just as easy as the Z6 would. Just need a P28 ECU and a conversion harness.
[post=420837]Quoted post[/post]​

so scrappy...I mean SRT_Andy, did you get that motor yet? Is i tthe complete motor or just block/head? EX tranny come with?

Originally posted by B16CRX@Nov 24 2004, 08:47 AM
so scrappy...I mean SRT_Andy, did you get that motor yet? Is i tthe complete motor or just block/head? EX tranny come with?
[post=421636]Quoted post[/post]​

I haven't got the motor yet, I'm picking it up on Friday from Pollito. I have to drive 4 hours to get it. It's just the block with crank, no tranny. My plan is to get a 92-95EX and use the Z6 head so I won't have to change the wiring over.

Back