Z6 on A6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackFrog

Neighborhood Lush
VIP
i have a 90 CRX Si, and 93 Del Sol Si, when the Sol engine gets swapped, i'll end up putting the Z6 head on the Rex.

Heard lots of differnt things, read lots of different things, just looking for te final word.

1. With a Z6 head, i need to use the Z6 dizzy...but ive 'heard' it doesnt plug in, and needs to be rewired. Is this true, and does anyone have the way to wire it?

2. The Y8 dizzy plugs into the A6 harness correct? But wont work with the Z6 head?

3. Use the Z6 head, Y8 head gasket, Z6 timing belt, right? Use Z6 IM or the A6?

4. If i decide to have a little more fun and put A1 pistons in, those will go right on the stock rods, no worries? I know i know, the teg pistons are stronger...

5. Are there any other little things that need to be taken from the A6 head, and put on the Z6, or anything little problems that have come up for people that have done this?

6. How tricky is it using a VAFC etc...?

thanks alot guys.

-Chris

ok if your stayiong obo-0 use your crx si dist. use the z6 i/m with the crx si injectors and t/b. use z6 timing belt, you can use z6 or y8 headgasket a1 as in d16a1?? yes they should fit on stock rods. Never used the VAFC...i tried the rpm switch with a reprogrammed pm6 ecu and didnt really like it so i used a obd0 pr3 b16a ecu.

you can use the z6 dizzy but you will have to convert to obd1 which means you will also have to use obd1 injectors and do some wiring. I personaly think you should do the obd1 conversion so you can use the ecu form your del sol which has better fuel maps and after doing the wiring you won't need a vafc to engage vtec. best of luck to you

thanks guys. the only reason im planning on using a VAFC is because i am going to run the P28 in the del sol with the GSR (chipped). unless i was to get another P28 somewhere. What kind of wiring is involved?

Also, i just thought of this, would it be easier to just swap in the complete Z6 engine...with or without the harness...

yes i meant D16A1, sorry about not clarifying.

anyone else, feel free to chime in...

-Chris

It's super easy to use a VAFC. Just don't try to do any tuning until you get a wideband- maybe just add some fuel if you hear pinging. It's only 4-6 wires to hook up (don't remember now) to your ECU harness.

If you want to use a P28 you'll have to convert to OBD1.

Yes, it's easier to swap in the whole D16Z6, but you won't gain the point of compression that everyone loves when they make an A6/Z6 mini-me.

1. Just use the si dist. Thats what i did when doing mine, just doesnt line up right but it still fits, just need to grind down a bit

2. Y8 refer to above

3. If your wanting to go all motor, the y8 head gasket will give you alot higher compression, then the a6 or z6. z6 is more then the a6 but less then the y8. And yes use the z6 timing belt. now for the intake mani. I used the a6 but ive heard that the z6 or y8 can give you more hp, im going to switch around after i figure out if they can bolt up and wire up.

4. yes but you will have to run racing gas in it, the compression ratio with your setup will be almost 13.0:1 which is very very high on a daily driver

5. make sure you pull off your oil jet when switching heads, or your vtec will never enguage...http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/images/oiljet.jpg

6. have someone wire it up for you

hope i helped

Originally posted by CRX2NR18@May 26 2004, 10:38 AM
4. yes but you will have to run racing gas in it, the compression ratio with your setup will be almost 13.0:1 which is very very high on a daily driver

Using P29 pistons under a Z6 head and gasket will only yield 12.0:1 compression. That will run fine on 93 octane (even 91) if you just get it tuned.

Back