z6 tranny swap question (jdm) and others

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spitfire hatchback

delete this profile!
ok i dont know if there's a diff. in the two but i put a jdm trans in my del sol before i pulled the motor to swap it into my 89 hatch and from what i keep getting told everyone says to just use the 89 tranny. i want to use the z6 trans cuz it only has about 40 k on it and the other has around 220k. i'm worried about it because after i put a clutchmasters stage three clutch and billet flywheel in the del sol i broke the first trans i had in it on a hard launch. (somehow it even welded the axles into the trans and had to beat the hell out of them to get tham back out) i guess what i want to know is can i use my z6 trans at all and how much crap will it take to make the mounts line up and so on... also i have been trying to fit my dash out of the del sol into the 89 hatch and i think i can get it to fit but has anyone else done this and is it going to be too much trouble too? i'm planning on going obd 1 all the way with this thing and any important pointers would be greatly appretiated! oh i can use the z6 clutch and flywheel in the 89 trans if i do have to use it right?

after im done with the swap i will have some left over parts to get rid of so if anyone needs del sol stuff let me know and i'll let you know if i have what you need. and i'll be getting rid of the stock 89 d16a6. e-mail me if needed spitfire-22@hotmail.com

Yes the 89 tansmission will work, its just the 88 that wont work because of splines.
use the 88-91 civic axels too

The z6 motor will swap you'll have to move over the bracket on the motor for the driver motor mount.
The stock mounts should work for the transmission as well

if you use a z6 flywheel, you'll have to use the z6 clutch (92-95 civic)
and if you use the a6 the a6 clutch will have to be used (88-91 civic)
also note that the 92-95 flywheel has more surface area if i remember correctly

If you use the z6 tranny you'll have to convert your clutch to hydro
or get a hydro to cable converstion kit for your clutch cable

BTW
my buddy needs fenders for his Sol
Guardrails suck :wink:

I dont know anything about that dash install.
Do you have a RF fender for a del sol?

Back