Z6 Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

801CRX

Got Rice?
Ok ive been trying to get a Z6 for a while now but to no avail.

But when I do get one into my possesion:
Stock all stock
Home made turbo on 8 psi.

My question is do you think this is to much boost to run on those weak ass connecting rods in the d's?

hmmm, i'd only push 6 to 7 on a stock d series bottom end...that and any more boost and you'll need a few more extras like fuel supply and decent spark. i'd go 6 and then once in a while 7 or 8, just to be safe...it's hard to tell you exactly how much boost to run safely. who's to say one of the rods are kinda on its last leg and ready to give if pushed too much boost? i'd go 6 and it woud be safe, give you a significant hp and tq increase..you can always go and get some eagle rods and put em in. they are pretty cheap and if you know what you're doing you can put them in yourself.

the more you spend on tuning the more power you can put down reliably. seriously though, tuning is key.you should have no problem daily driving a stock dseries at 225whp tuned by someone who knows what there doing and 93 oct of course.

PSI is irrelevant until you pick a turbo. Use horsepower as a measuring stick. Stay at or below 200whp if you want to be absolutely safe or you can go up to 250whp if you want to push it.

Absolutely correct. Cylinder pressure vs structural integrity is ultimately what determines if you blow or not.

Also, tuning is not some sort of black magic. You tune to your desired A/F point then set timing. The correct way to set timing is to hold steady load on the dyno and increase timing until torque stops rising, this is called MBT(minimum best timing) at this point increasing timing only gets you closer to detonation and no power increase.

id say if you were in nc i have a Z6 for sale... but Z6's are good turbo motors w/ a little work.. there is a guy in nc with a z/6 W/ y8 head fully built putting down 400 plus hp.. oh yeah and alot of boost

Back