z6 Vs. y8 Vs. y7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wngfn05

I have a 96' civic HX and im lookin to either swap the z6, y8, or y7 and go with a built sohc turbo. I hear the y7 tranny is better for turbo because of hte longer gears. Not to mention its easier to build because its cheaper than both the z6 and y8. when building the head mainly, will it matter to have vtec as the y8 and z6 both have. Everyone knows that vtec gives you that extra kick but is it worth the extra money investing into a z6 ory8 instead of hte y7. I hear a SRD (superior racing development in arizona) hands out y7 swaps for nearly 500-600 bucks. im lookin to get 200+hp out of the built motor w/ turbo application. anyone have advice or experience with the sohc turbos i could use it..thanks everyone

y7 for $500-600=rip off

just turbo the motor you have, if you want more, then change. all of the turbo stuff will bolt to a new motor, but i don't see why you shouldn't be able to hit 200hp with a hx motor.

Originally posted by wngfn05@Sep 26 2003, 11:06 PM
I hear the y7 tranny is better for turbo because of hte longer gears.

Is that true? I have never heard of this before. If this is true could someone explain to me why longer gear are better in a turbo set up that shorter gears.

the hx motor is a piece of shit, the tranny is shity, the setup is shitty the gear ration on the tranny is shitty. i would much rather go with a built motor then drop it in for a turbo. i have had bad luck w/ hx's, i hydrolocked one of them right now i have a 98' hx in my 96 and i hate the way it runs....for the 3k im gonna drop on a turbo should i just do a b16?? considering power to reliability ratio??

dude if you turbo your hx motor and blow it up, then it wont be a big deal to replace it with something bigger. but if you turbo it and like it then thats a little money you saved. beside all the turbo stuff will bolt up to whatever d-series you decide to put in next.

but if you are even thinking of b-series and you want bosst save some more cash, cuase the only b- your going to want to boost is the b18b and i don't think you can swap and boost for less than 3k. i'm sure is possible, but pretty close to iffy.

Back