ZC Cam Question!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

I am purchasing a ZC. It was formerly an automatic, which is the preferred engine by most people. They prefer it because, hopefully, it hasnt been abused like a manual. My question is, does it have different camshafts than the manual. I know when Honda made auto H22s they had less aggressive profiles than the manual did. Any help is appreciated.

i pretty sure that the camshafts are the same. but i could be wrong, i think that the ZC motors were all the same enternally whether it was an auto or a manuel. But im not totally sure about that one.

Originally posted by B18CRX1988@Aug 2 2003, 04:50 PM
i pretty sure that the camshafts are the same. but i could be wrong, i think that the ZC motors were all the same enternally whether it was an auto or a manuel.

Manuel=A mexican.
Manual=A transmission.

Which did you mean???

Thanks B18CRX. Yeah, I believe they are all the same internally too. I called the guy Im buying it from and he said they were the same. Yeah, he meant Manual, sometimes people do actually make mistakes, so stop flaming.

just like the rest of you kooks in this thread, i'm not completely positive about my answer. but i am more that willing to bet that the cam(s) in the auto engine are signifigantly less agressive than the manual cam(s). if this is the decision maker as to wether or not you buy the engine. i highly suggest that you do some more reasearch on this topic.

After hours of searching, I found out that the auto and manual DOHC ZC share all of the same internals, including cams. The guy I'm buying the motor from, and he is reputable, also told me that they had the same internal parts. I dont think people would prefer to have a formerly auto ZC if it had less aggressive cams, thus making less horsepower.

allmotor i just purchased an auto motor also an am putting it into my crx Si. what do you know about the swap. And as for the cams i am about 95% sure that they are the same.

Rextc, what exactly do you wanna know about the swap. Basically, you will need to trasfer your flywheel to the ZC engine. You are also gonna need to purchase a clutch. Any d series clutch from the same year as your flywheel and tranny will work. You will use your stock motor mounts, and stock axles, although I would consider replacing them. You will also need to do some wiring modifications with the distributor. You will also either need to purchase a header or file the ports on your SI header to match the ZC gasket pattern. Here is a link that outlines most of this: http://www.88-crx.com/ZC_Page/Phase%203.htm

Back