ZC Confusion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark91zc

are sohc zc motors just vtech motors or are there vtech motors and non-vtech motors?

i would like to know please and if i got a d15b vtech head and necessory part for vtech to work will that head bolt on to my zc bottom end with out a problem and will the compression raise since i am putting a 1.5 head on a 1.6 bottom end???

thanks for the help

there are three basic zc motors.

1. SOHC Non-Vtec ZC
2. DOHC Non-Vtec ZC
3. SOHC Vtec ZC

basically you it sounds like you are talking about a "mini-me"

try searching for mini-me.....

what are the model or block numbers for the 2 sohc zc blocks and what is a mini- me??

The "number" stamped on a real ZC will actually be "ZC". If a block doesn't have the letters "ZC" on it, it's not a real ZC. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

A "mini-me" setup is a D series combo. It's a combination of the short block from a non-VTEC D series engine and a SOHC VTEC D series head. If you take a D16A6 from a 88-91 Si and bolt a D16Z6 VTEC head on it, you have a mini-me engine.

The SOHC ZC non-VTEC was available from 88-91 and was identical to the D16A6 that was available in the US except for the cam profile. The SOHC ZC VTEC is functionally the same as the USDM D16Z6. The DOHC ZC was a dual cam engine (never available with VTEC) in the D series configuration- it made between 130-140hp at the crank.

Never heard of a ZC16, and Honda doesn't list it as existing. Only numbered ZC's I have seen are ZC 1, and ZC 5. If you can, take a pic of the block code and post it.

And no, it isn't a vtech, unless you have it plugged into a wall.

Yes, please take pictures of your engine and post them up here- make sure to get the block code. That will help us help you.

VTech:

5857_lg.jpg

VTEC:

swap20011022-04-TN.JPG

sorry i was brain dead :D

i just got a dual cam zc plus a l3 tranny for 200

is this good and what is a l3 tranny what is the gearing on it and what is a zc tranny

That's a really good price.

I don't remember the gearing on the DOHC ZC transmission... and I can't find my file that had all the gear ratios in it. Damn.

Just FYI- all D series transmissions from 88-91 were L3 transmissions. You have to look for a little 4 character code on the transmission housing close to the drain plug- that's where you'll find the code that tells you what type of gears are inside.

i have 3 L3 tranny's and only one has a different clutch spline

and this is the number

L32560194 and this tranny cam off a sohc zc

the other trannys i got with other engines

L31188597 came with the dual cam
L31067533 came out of a 89 crx si this tranny sucks ass it is in my car now

I don't think those are the codes... look for "Mista Bone's tranny page" or something like that. He has information on his site about D series transmission identification. Maybe it's TJ... not sure. Google it up and you'll find it pretty quick.

Back