ZC DOCH or B SERIES??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d16a6civichatch

i have a 88 dx hatch and was wondering what motor would be best i already have a doch zc motor but i want to know if there is a b series motor that would be better than my zc i can spend 800 and was just curious if i could get a better motor thatn the zc for that price.

you are not going to get a B-series in your car for $800 - by the time you buy the engine, transmission, axles, mounts, shift linkage, exhaust, etc., you will be at least twice that - depending on the engine, could be 3 times that

plus with the money u save by putting the zc in you can use to start improving you zc to outrun a b16 anyway

some truth to that ^. but also the aftermarket parts made for the dohc zc in comparison to the b-series engines are in two diff ballparks. There isn't *hit available for the zc's in comparison. unfortunately for you however you wont come close to a complete b18 swap for $800. not unless you find a beat up DA for less than $800 and use it as a donor car to do the swap.

motor-200-300(mine cost 100)
tranny -150
mounts-150
linkage- 100
ecu-50
axles-100
fluids- >100
and way more aftermarket support,id do te b-series

i dont know where you bought your engine. but a B-series engine is going to cost a heck of a lot more than 200-300 dollars. i'd say more like 1000. and the rest of those prices are best case scenario. engine swaps are expensive. To go fast, you gotta spend the cash

i dont know where you bought your engine. but a B-series engine is going to cost a heck of a lot more than 200-300 dollars. i'd say more like 1000. and the rest of those prices are best case scenario. engine swaps are expensive. To go fast, you gotta spend the cash

Around here I can pick up LS short blocks all day long for about 200. Sometimes I can find running, assembled long blocks for between 200-400. Those prices are pretty common, you just hafta spend time and actually try to get a good deal.

wow really. i can't find anything like that around here. i'm gunna have to take a raod trip to find a goof price on a motor then!

Not if you have half an idea how to wire.

Alright i have no problem sticking with the ZC motor but i want it to SMASH b series all day without turbo . so is it hard to get name brand after market parts for the ZC motor?

You don't need deep pockets if you know what you're doing.
Nitrous is the BEST bang for your buck. Set up a 100hp wet shot, retard the timing a few degrees, change your plugs for some 6-range(GSR plugs) and you'll be spanking almost EVERYTHING in you're area. All for only about $2-300.

Pound for pound, $ for $, I'd take a DOHC ZC over a B16 for a "basic" fun car.
Are aftermarket parts for the DOHC ZC hard to find...some are. The very first thing I would suggest doing is swapping to a HKS beaded metal headgasket and a set of ARP headstuds. The stock hg is paper and garbage. If you want to run some type of aftermarket intake manifold, zcspeed makes an adaptor plate to let you run an aftermarket SOHC intake mani. The exhaust flange is the same as the SOHC.
A few co's make aftermarket camshafts and gear setups.

Will you "smash B swapped" cars...N/A...no. I personally felt like my 90 DOHC ZC CRX was more fun to drive than my 89 B16 swapped CRX. The ZC would definitely get up and move faster (torquey), but the B16 would pull much harder up top...so theres a tradeoff. Fix that trade off by turboing the ZC

Last edited:
i have a 88 dx hatch and was wondering what motor would be best i already have a doch zc motor but i want to know if there is a b series motor that would be better than my zc i can spend 800 and was just curious if i could get a better motor thatn the zc for that price.

if i was you i will go with a jdm b16a with a b16 trany(hydro)

Back