ZC DOHC 1991 Hatchback Transplant - Epilog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's a fatty list ! You don't see ZC's around anymore...makes a build like this unique.

Bump on 5/24/2011. Week off on vacation, getting after it - it's going in this week over Memorial Day weekend. A long time friend is coming up for a couple of days to visit, feed the dogs milk bones and hot dogs, drink beer, smoke cuban cigars and put the DOHC ZC in the hatch.

Today's updates are in post #7 and cover adjustable cam timing pulleys and port matching the 61mm Gude Throttle body to the stock intake manifold. There will be a shitload more pictures this week and next - It's time to Git -R- Done!

Larry%20The%20Cable%20Guy.JPG

Last edited:
37820-P06-A02 ECU with Hondata S300 mod. Harness adaptor plugs to interface with the existing OBD0 harness. Connector change at the Dizzy on the harness side. Will custom wire harness for O2 sensor.

Anyboby have recommendations for a 4-wire OBD1 O2 sensor?

Last edited:
awesome build so far mr mod man... wish i had a camera and more time when i did most of my mods to my dc... oh well... wife and kids first!!! seems to be a thrash anytime i have to do anything to the car. such is life i gues!!!!

awesome build so far mr mod man... wish i had a camera and more time when i did most of my mods to my dc... oh well... wife and kids first!!! seems to be a thrash anytime i have to do anything to the car. such is life i gues!!!!
You are right there bro. It takes time to stop and take pics while working on this shit. But, I've gotten lots of help on the forums - both by searching and reading through threads, looking at pictures and also asking questions and interacting member-to-member. So, it's time to give some back.

The threads with pictures are always good anyway - so, here goes my attempt. Philosophy overall is more towards a generic "How to" based upon my approach to problem solving. I'm in it for the newer members - they are ones to assist - and not just techno stuff - safety too and also some direction on what to do and what not to do.

Also it's about doing a mild build, but a more complete build overall for the car. i.e. suspension, brakes, fuel system, electrical system, etc.

Tell ya what, looking back at life if I was to do anything different it would have been to take more pictures and do a better job of retaining the ones I had.

For instance, I have had many German Shepherd dogs over the past 40+ years. Back in the 70's I bought my first trained "Bad Boy" named Sammy from a prestigious kennel in Bakersfield, CA - Mandelyn Kennels. They were one of the leading schools for working dogs (K-9's) in the world at that time. Do a search and you will see many professional trainers (lots in law enforcement) with Mandelyn Kennels in their resume.

Wish I had more pictures of my beautiful dogs - both working/training and also clowning around and playing at home.

One of them was Sammy - a good dog - hard hitting and tough - social and stable.

Sammy in 1973 - right at the "Hit" - the decoy spun around and almost went down.

Sammy1.JPG

Then came Beau Geste (Beau) - he received his initial training boarded at Mandelyn Kennels, then 18 months of private training (tues, thurs mornings) in Hanford, CA at Melair Kennels with Mel Cummins formerly of Mandelyn Kennels.

Beau was a Sch I level dog and worked better than many a full time Police K-9 back then - even by today's standards in the USPCA he would have been a top notch dog. Would sure like to have some more pictures of Beau working - going through the obstacle course, tracking, searching, etc.

Beau 1977:

Beau1%20%28Small%29.jpg

Beau loved to play in the sprinklers - mom would put a spike sprayer out in the back yard and sit and smoke in the covered patio area. Beau would go into the back yard, pull the spike up out of the ground, water pushing jowles out and drag it into the patio where mom was and walk up to her and drop it - spraying her with water......

Wish I had more pictures of these guys in action and clowning around the house.

Take pictures, lots of pictures!!!!! Family, friends and life. I take a lot these days - since I got the electronic/digital camera some years ago to use for eBay sales.

Last edited:
Got the teardown under way today - car is jacked up and on stands front and rear. Took pics of engine bay for hoses and wiring documentation.

Started looking at parts fitment/interface and found an interesting condition on the front engine mount.

It's a bit different hole pattern on the 4th generation 1992-1995 DOHC ZC than the D16A6 has. The rear stud appears to be in the same location as the front mount on the D16A6, but the front stud is inboard and forward. Wondering if another front mount would work or if I need to get this one modified?

Anybody know?

Front%20Engine%20Mount%201.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading up on FITV on a couple of forums and Glassheadlights' thread. Then, started looking at the Throttle Body I'm going to use and the ZC intake manifold - comparing to the stock D16A6 manifold.

Based upon what I have read online and in the James/Chilton manuals today it looks like the D16A6 uses IACV & FITV which are both mounted on the rear of the intake manifold. Whereas the 4th gen DOHC ZC uses an EACV (mounted on the rear of intake manifold close to the throttle body) that does all functions - idle, cold idle, air conditioning idle.

So, which wires to use? Hoping to not have to go wire by wire through the schematics. Nor sure how the OBD0 to OBD1 harness adaptors are wired to interface the P06 ECU to the car wiring harness. Which wires to connect the EACV? IACV or FITV?

Use your old D16A6 cast block mount behind the timing belt guard. That will align it true.

And no IACV at all? I haven't seen a Honda without one, but that's an import motor. How many wires coming outta this thingy?

Last edited:
2 wire connector on it. Notice the vacum port for the power brake booster is pointing to the right for a right hand drive car. That will necessitate lengthening the vacum line.

EACV%201.jpg

EACV%202.jpg

EACV%203.jpg

EACV%204.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a normal IACV, no problem there. Clean it with brake cleaner, they always need it. Is there a FITV on the throttle body?

Last edited:
Just found your thread. Great work so far. I dont know much about zc's, but what ever I can contribute I will.
Thanks a lot hoss, I much appreciate it!

It's quite an undertaking. D16A6 is out, new rear motor mount is installed. Need to pull tranny from old engine. ZC short block is built, head is on and torqued, cams in and torqued. Fitting adjustable cam pulleys on now, need some custom washers for the front as the cams stick out a bit since I machined the back to correct offset. Will probably just turn up a couple of spacers on the lathe.

Removing the rear motor mount was not fun. Had to drop the cross member, pulling steering rack drive shaft from the u-joint at the firewall was fun. I got pissed off and didn't want to pull u-joint from under dash so I broke out the Husky pneumatic cutoff tool and made it easy. A friend did some custom shroud work for me and it's fixed up pretty clean. I'll post pics later - will be back next weekend to finish it up - business trip tomorrow, return friday evening.

:cool:

That cutting part sucks. I get that difficult bolt every time with a 14mm socket, universal joint and an extension right down the firewall. Easy and painless but its done now lol. Looking nice!

Back