ZC DOHC 1991 Hatchback Transplant - Epilog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What did you cut out and why?
Refer to the pictures in post #4. I cut an access hole to get to the steering u-joint at the firewall. It was late and at the end of the day. But, the repair is nice, actually better than the rotted out rubber/foam stuff that was there. Can't see it and it's structurally sound and will keep water/dirt out of the cabin.

That cutting part sucks. I get that difficult bolt every time with a 14mm socket, universal joint and an extension right down the firewall. Easy and painless but its done now lol. Looking nice!
I think the steering u-joint bolt was 10mm. I don't know what kind of hassle that would have been to work from inside the cabin as it's behind the clutch and brake pedals.

So, I broke out the Husky with 100 psi of air ramming up is tight little ass and whammo!!!! Bolt came flying out, crossmember dropped and old rear engine mount changeout was done. Just pulled the four bolts holding the cross member, left struts attached and radius rods installed as well as lower control arms. Then, used a hydraulic floor jack to raise it back into place - alignmnent of the steering rack drive shaft back into the steering u-joint took a little finessing - but not too bad.

Last edited:
Haha great, but that bolt isn't hard to get out either with a bit of carpet removal. I have to take out 2 crossmembers out soon and will take pics.

The bolt for the engine mount in this pic is supposed to go on the rear mount. :)

Installing%20Engine%202.jpg

The bolt for the engine mount in this pic is supposed to go on the rear mount. :)

Installing%20Engine%202.jpg
Which one? Passenger side or front should go in the rear? The shit on this car was AFU when I got it and some of it evidently still is. Bolts and screws missing and mixed up, loose and such. Lemme know, cuz the mounts aren't torqued up yet and the new front mount and polyurethane kit for it came in today so I'll be changing that one and then torquing everything up tomorrow.

EDIT: Done.

Installing%20Engine%206.jpg

Installing%20Engine%202A.jpg

Last edited:
Why the FUCK is your engine purple? Blue car, yellow wheels. purple engine, fail. and I'm not gonna even mention the over spray.

Well the FUCKING TRANSMISSION is GRAY!!!!

Actually, after I painted it, I like it. :cool:

Not sure about the valve cover yet - would like it to be different than the flat black intake manifold and block - maybe smoke gray to match the tranny.

EDIT: Royal Purple, as opposed to GADAR Yellow - at least I have the balls to post pictures of my my purple engine block & head. Brad just talks about the GADAR Yellow wheels......won't show anyone.......

Last edited:
Why the FUCK is your engine purple? Blue car, yellow wheels. purple engine, fail. and I'm not gonna even mention the over spray.
Overspray???? The friggin valve cover hasn't received any TLC yet - it will this weekend. It's just on there to keep shit outta that $4k worth of engine so my buddy could help me drop it in and head back home to Houston.

:facepalm:

I'll finsih the rest of the install and purple paint job by myself.......maybe GADAR Yellow on the valve cover? I could put a McCulloch sticker on it. It's about the same size as a Mc101.

At least I can hide my purple shit under the hood and promise not to cruise high schools with it.

Last edited:
Overspray???? The goddamn valve cover hasn't received any TLC yet - it will this weekend. It's just on there to keep shit outta that $4k worth of engine so my buddy could help me drop it in and head back home to Houston.

:facepalm:

I'll finsih the rest of the install and purple paint job by myself.......maybe GADAR Yellow on the valve cover? I could put a McCulloch sticker on it. It's about the same size as a Mc101.

At least I can hide my purple shit under the hood and not cruise high schools with it.
That whole time I was thinking that was GlassHeadlights' car (hence the "yellow wheels.") haha My own reading comprehension ftl. But still... why purple?

Which one? Passenger side or front should go in the rear? The shit on this car was AFU when I got it and some of it evidently still is. Bolts and screws missing and mixed up, loose and such. Lemme know, cuz the mounts aren't torqued up yet and the new front mount and polyurethane kit for it came in today so I'll be changing that one and then torquing everything up tomorrow.

The mount by the battery tray with the big spacer, it even looks like it would get in the way of the battery.

Fuckin haters.

That whole time I was thinking that was GlassHeadlights' car (hence the "yellow wheels.") haha My own reading comprehension ftl. But still... why purple?
Let's not cut him any slack just because you can't read. GADAR Yellow is GADAR Yellow any way ya cut it!

Why purple on block/head? I wanted it painted after looking at Wikedeyes thread - looks nice and clean. I have a cabinet full of rattle can paint - basically stock on hand (red & gray primer and satin black + some clear coat) and numerous other colors from other projects - some unused cuz I changed my mind about color. Not buying any more paint for now.

Paint%20Cabinet.jpg

The main thought was to pull a can from the cabinet and do it. Already had painted the intake manifold flat black, didn't have silver for tranny, so it got smoke gray just like my main work bench and other shop items are painted.

What was left in the cabinet? Red, Purple, White and some Hunter Green. The D16A6 valve cover was purple, so in houour of the ole' D16 I went with purple.

D16A6.jpg

There you have it - now let's hear Brad's GADAR Yellow Wheel Story and rationale - and most importantly some pictures of him cruising a nearby HS in it......

Last edited:
Id have gone hunter green. haha But point taken. And yes, lets hear the explanation behind that lameness.
(And keep in mind, to be hated on, you have to have something worth being hated for. Yellow wheels just dont make the cut. lol)

I may hit the valve cover with the green. Car is Teal = Secondary colour Blue/Green mix. Purple is secondary colour Blue/Red mix. Yellow is also a secondary colour = Green/Red mix. Gray on the tranny is a neutral.

Valve cover initially will most likely end up green or yellow - then, I'll take it from there - Smoke Gray is still in the running too.

Day off work today and weekend off - rental car in driveway, so it's off for a good breakfast, then on to the hatch to finish it up this weekend.

By the time I ate breakfast and got to the store for valve cover paint after I had thought it over a bit more - the green would have worked, but I went with blue.

Why? Blue should tie it all together visually - blue is a component in the teal (Cyan) on the body and engine bay and also in the purple on the block/head. It will still make the flat black intake manifold look good and work with the smoke gray tranny. Green or red would have worked as would yellow - however, they would have functioned as Higilight colours pulling the eye to them and not as a tie in colour as will the blue - allowing for the flat black intake manifold and purple block/head to gain a little of the attention.

Last edited:
you guys are terrible!!! poor brad... hasnt even had a chance to reply yet... maybe he's repainting his wheels!!!

you guys are terrible!!! poor brad... hasnt even had a chance to reply yet... maybe he's repainting his wheels!!!
Probably so! I can just see him trying to hide the evidence - like a cat scratching the sidewalk to cover up a turd. Sure is fun to heckle him about it......

Tell ya what, you guys can raze me all ya want - but that ZC MOFO is gonna stay PURPLE!!!!! I think it looks great. Will sandblast valve cover tomorrow and it's going to be deep blue by tomorrow night.

Honestly, I'd like to see a picture of his blue CRX with the yellow wheels to see how it really looks. Depending upon circumstance, blue and yellow can go well together when yellow is used as the highlight or accent colour. Seems like blue and yellow mixed together make up green.

Last edited:
Looking good! I like that copper pipe/funnel set up you used for the tranny fluid.
Ya know out of all this stuff, that's probably my favorite too. Filling that tranny has always been a huge PITA. The simplest thing, took all of maybe 10 minutes to build from scrap copper pipe and fittings - coupled with a $3 funnel works real good - no problem topping off or filling tranny now. Only tools used were a tubing cutter and propane torch.

:)

Another long day - 9 hrs at work and 7-10pm shift on the hatch. Connected the P06-A01 ECU today and adapter harness. Using a Monotech adapter harness, seems ok so far. Did distributor connectors the other night. Tonight I wired up the OBD1 O2 sensor and did plumbing on the engine. Installed radiator and cooling fan. Also put speedometer cable into tranny and retainer clip. Ran vacum line to brake booster. Had to lengthen line from intake manifold to one way valve as the manifold is set up for a JDM RH drive car with brake booster on the RH side.

I think all it needs now is the EACV, Throttle Body - water lines for them and it's time to take the battery off the charger and lite the fire......

ECU is narrower and longer than the PM6 that was in the car. Just laying in the floor for now. I'll deal with mounting it properly this weekend. Want to do a motor run and make sure we don't enter "The Troubleshooting Mode" before buttoning thinigs up.

I'll post more pics in a day or so. Will take pics of the ECU install when I figure out what I'm going to do. Probably cut attachment legs off of it and pop rivet a pair of aluminum angle stock runners to the sides of it and drill to fit the car chassis mount points.

Last edited:
Back