ZC dohc idles funny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fernpatch

So I took the crx out of storage yesterday and took it for a spin. I was reminded of the fact that I never adjusted the valves after I replaced the head gasket last summer by the valve clatter. So today I warmed the engine up and proceded to adjust the valves. Every valve was way to loose. After adjusting the valves to spec the car will not start or idle when its cold unless you keep light pressure on the throttle. After I adjusted the idle air screw up enough to get it to not stall I ended up with a motor that idles about 1100 rpm cold and bounces between 1000 and 1500 rpm when warm. Also has a slight roughness when cold. I am stumped as to why it would act like this after adjusting the valves. Could the motor have been breathing less effectively because of the valves out of adjustment causing a lower demand for air in turn masking a bad EACV? Any one ever see this please chime in. I will do some more checking around tomorrow after work but if anyone has suggestions that would be great.

are you sure that you have the valves adjusted correctly? - valve clearances should be 0.13mm (0.005") on intakes and 0.15mm (0.006") on exhausts with clearances checked between the top of the rockers and the bottom of the camshaft lobes - fluctuating idle can be caused by things other than the EACV, such as: low coolant level, air pocket in cooling system, plugged PCV valve, vacuum leak and malfunctioning MAP sensor - do you have any codes showing on the ECU?

That's what I was thinking, not adjusted properly. It has to be related to the way the valves are set if it all of a sudden changed after you did that. You should re-do the valves, just to rule it out.

So when I was driving home last night the check engine light popped on. I stopped over at a gas station and checked the code. Code 1 o2 sensor. Cleared it and drove home. Today I learned a great lesson, allways double check the information you find on the internet. It turns out the valve lash specs I found through google were incorrect. After re adjusting the valves to the proper clearance and re adjusting my base idle back to where it should be it runs like a top. Thank you Jlicrx for providing good information on the proper clearance.

Back