ZC DOHC motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slwcivic

I'm looking at the ZC DOHC motor from Zerolift..
I dont kno to much bout em i've heard that there rare and hard to find aftermarket parts for..

Well does anyone have one?
If so what kinda performance does it make an do you like it?
What kinda ecu would be best to use?

just tell me any thoughts or comments you may have.

If you're swapping into a 92-95 Civic, a D16Z6 will usually be a better choice than the DOHC ZC. OBD1 DOHC ZC engines and ECUs are hard to find, and the D16Z6 will give you very similar performance and a much larger aftermarket.

Im not really wanting a sohc vtec.. i read you can do a vtec conversion to the zc dohc..But im still concidering Ls, or B16.. and yes its a 92-95civic.

i would go with the LS and do a head swap and call it a day man it seems easier then what you are shooting for

Originally posted by slwcivic@Dec 7 2004, 07:07 AM
Im not really wanting a sohc vtec.. i read you can do a vtec conversion to the zc dohc..But im still concidering Ls, or B16.. and yes its a 92-95civic.
[post=427480]Quoted post[/post]​

There's no vtec swap for a DOHC D series, and with what D16Z6's go for nowadays, there's 0 performance versus cost reasoning for getting a DOHC ZC that makes the same Hp with less availible support.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Dec 7 2004, 05:48 AM-->
@Dec 7 2004, 07:07 AM
[post=427480]Quoted post[/post]​

There's no vtec swap for a DOHC D series, and with what D16Z6's go for nowadays, there's 0 performance versus cost reasoning for getting a DOHC ZC that makes the same Hp with less availible support.
[post=427545]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

In any case, the only advantage a DOHC ZC engine would give you over the SOHC VTEC is independently adjustable intake and exhaust cams- but then when you try to find anything out there to mod the engine with (like cams), you're going to have boatloads of fun. There's a LOT more aftermarket support for the SOHC VTEC than the DOHC ZC.

I'm not wantin to do a vtec head.. i was just saying..
Ls/vtec are nice but the cost alot. an can have many problems

Ppl on my other forum have found many web site that sell parts for the ZC..
The Ls is a motor im looking at tho. i was just wanting to know of ppl thoughts on the ZC...

i like the zc, but you need to measure cost to hp...

you can find cams and things for the zc, and it would be nice to have 2 cams for turbo applications...

all depends on your goals...

zc is the cheapest dohc swap you can get if thats what you;re looking for, but you will be limited...

if you plan to have the car, and plan to keep modding and making it faster then go with a B series for unlimited potential..

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 7 2004, 04:51 PM
i like the zc, but you need to measure cost to hp...

you can find cams and things for the zc, and it would be nice to have 2 cams for turbo applications...

all depends on your goals...

zc is the cheapest dohc swap you can get if thats what you;re looking for, but you will be limited...

if you plan to have the car, and plan to keep modding and making it faster then go with a B series for unlimited potential..
[post=427866]Quoted post[/post]​

Im just looking for a dohc motor thats cheap.. an im prolly gonna go Boost within the next few months..And im just looking for something to toy around with for a few months till i leave Boot camp.. But later on down the road ill do a more bigger build

I wasn't talking about VTEC as in an LS/VTEC conversion- I was just talking about getting a SOHC VTEC D series engine and modding that. You'll have a lot more options with it than the DOHC ZC- trust me. If you really want to get the DOHC ZC and already have a few sources for parts- go for it. It's just not easy to find an OBD1 DOHC ZC to go into your 5th gen Civic... and honestly- you could just drop in a B18B or something. It's not hard at all.

I can get the Zc motor engine,tranny,ecu for 650 straight from Japan...

I wasnt talking to you bout the Ls/vtec. oit was others..

Im leaving for boot camp in a few months so i dont rly wanna spend alot on a motor right now.. this is just gonna be something to play around with till then..

Cool. Well :thumbsup: to the DOHC ZC if you can get it for your car. It's a nice little engine that's really fun to play with. It still just doesn't have an aftermarket nearly as large as the SOHC VTEC D series engines. :)

My boy has a 90 stock (BESIDES A HEADER) DOHC ZC in his 91 civic hb with a si tranny hes doing 15.20 in 1/4 mile at atco raceway. theres a company can rember what one but they sell a dohc zc head that you can put all ls parts in.

Back