zc dohc which one...please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

movintons

I know this question has been asked before and I appologize in advance for asking again.

I am on my way to get an zc dohc engine to put in a 88 crxsi. What do I look for to get the one that is the easiest swap? I will be removing a d16a6 sohc and belive I want a d16a8. I read the swap articals and am still confused.

What do I look for on the zc block engines???

As I stated earlier I am on my way to the importer and will be there in 30 minutes so if you know the answer I need it quick.

Thanks in advance...I owe you!

Movintons

You want the one from Japan, you DONT want an old (i think) teg engine. You want the JDM DOHC ZC.

You want to make sure you get the BLACK top engine, NOT the brown top. ZC will be stamped on the block. If it doesn't say ZC, you're getting ripped.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jan 24 2005, 02:29 PM
You want the one from Japan, you DONT want an old (i think) teg engine. You want the JDM DOHC ZC.
[post=450591]Quoted post[/post]​

These engines will all be from Japan since this guy imports engines by the container load. From reading the swap info it looks like there are several versions but it is very confusing to me.

I am not sure if I want the engine with black valve cover and gray electrical connectors or what. I am setting outside the guys front door making this post. If anyone can clarify this I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks

ok...I understand now. I had the article printed out but it is a little confusing when you read about second generation it says there are 2 types and they do not interchange.

Thanks for the clarification!!!!

The guy has dohc zc motors that are obd0 (not gray connectors) He does not have motor mounts. Which mounts will I need and how easy are they to get and how much? Is there anything else that I will need?

Is it worth going dohc instead of sohc???

That depends. If you want to mod the engine more later and maybe add a VTEC head, you want the SOHC ZC. It's the same as the D16A6 except for the cam. The DOHC ZC is the best D series engine in STOCK form, but it's a bit harder to find parts for it. If you're going to leave it stock, or you only plan on bolting on a small turbo later, get the DOHC ZC. It's a very stout engine that will give you lots of smiles for not too much cash.

calesta, shouldn't mounts be interchangable??? d-block is d-block i thought. my buddy bought a brown top and had problems, but then he realized that's not the motor for a 93 hatch. 88 si should mount in the same, shouldn't it??? my buddies 91 si didn't need anything new...all i know is you should definitely get an intermediate shaft for sure with your zc or you're in for a headache.

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jan 25 2005, 01:26 AM
calesta, shouldn't mounts be interchangable??? d-block is d-block i thought. my buddy bought a brown top and had problems, but then he realized that's not the motor for a 93 hatch. 88 si should mount in the same, shouldn't it??? my buddies 91 si didn't need anything new...all i know is you should definitely get an intermediate shaft for sure with your zc or you're in for a headache.
[post=450966]Quoted post[/post]​

I bought a black top zc...not a brown top. The guy brought out an engine after I picked what I wanted and the damn thing had a gray distributor connector. I told him it was wrong and we then swapped for one with a yellow connector. (ZC stamped on the block)

Thanks for all the help today...from everything I have read this evening I feel comfortable that I got the right engine. I have read that the stock mounts will work just fine and the only thing I will have to do is change the distributor plug and move a couple of wires. A different ecu would be good but not neccesary. I think I'll wait until turbo time to do this.

Why would I want to use a different intermediate shaft?

If you use the Si tranny, you will use the Si half-shaft. If you use the ZC tranny, you need a JDM half-shaft.

As for mounts, you can use your stock ones. You can even pour this rubbery stuff (ask someone else, i don't konw where to get it) in them to make them stronger and stiffer. While this will make your ride mor harsh, it will reduce engine movement. Just some food for thought. I think you made the right decision too, now get that engine into your car!!! :D

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy+Jan 25 2005, 12:26 AM-->
[post=450966]Quoted post[/post]​

The black top ZC should bolt right in with all OEM mounts.

Originally posted by movintons@Jan 25 2005, 01:18 AM
A different ecu would be good but not neccesary. I think I'll wait until turbo time to do this.

You could always chip your stock ECU to a ZC program.

Originally posted by movintons@Jan 25 2005, 01:18 AM
Why would I want to use a different intermediate shaft?
[post=450979]Quoted post[/post]​

If you're using the stock Si transmission, you don't need to worry. If you bought the ZC transmission, you need the ZC intermediate shaft. Stock USDM D axles won't fit in the differential.

ktanaka
@Jan 25 2005, 01:34 AM
You can even pour this rubbery stuff (ask someone else, i don't konw where to get it) in them to make them stronger and stiffer. While this will make your ride mor harsh, it will reduce engine movement.
[post=450985]Quoted post[/post]​

3M Window Weld. You should be able to buy it at any auto parts store. It doesn't make your in-car engine vibration too bad. It's definitely more gentle than straight aftermarket polyurethane mounts, but it'll be a bit stiffer than using polyurethane engine mount inserts. Cheap too.

Thanks to all who have helped me to purchase the right engine. Thanks for the links also.

Today I am pulling the engine and trans and with a little luck I may even get the ZC back in. woohooo!!!

The flange on the ZC downpipe doesn't match so I guess I'll be changing the exhaust manifold. What about the intake manifold...ZC or d16a1? What have others done or what is recommended?

Originally posted by movintons@Jan 29 2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks to all who have helped me to purchase the right engine. Thanks for the links also.

Today I am pulling the engine and trans and with a little luck I may even get the ZC back in. woohooo!!!

The flange on the ZC downpipe doesn't match so I guess I'll be changing the exhaust manifold. What about the intake manifold...ZC or d16a1? What have others done or what is recommended?
[post=453059]Quoted post[/post]​

I used the zc manifold, downpipe, and everything bolted up to the si exhaust and cat. I bought a new si exaust front to back to keep the stock look and sound. There was a extra pipe the crx had, about 6" in length (I think) that I didn't use, other than everything bolted up fine. I don't know if that might help you at all.

On my ZC I went ahead and just put a DC header on. The header I bought is for an 88-91 crx it fit perfectly. I've heard of some people having to modify their header to fit, but in my case it fit perfect.

Originally posted by movintons@Jan 24 2005, 03:00 PM
I know this question has been asked before and I appologize in advance for asking again.

I am on my way to get an zc dohc engine to put in a 88 crxsi. What do I look for to get the one that is the easiest swap? I will be removing a d16a6 sohc and belive I want a d16a8. I read the swap articals and am still confused.

As I stated earlier I am on my way to the importer and will be there in 30 minutes so if you know the answer I need it quick.

Thanks in advance...I owe you!

Movintons
[post=450582]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by Si11014+Mar 6 2005, 02:01 PM-->
movintons
@Jan 24 2005, 03:00 PM

Thanks in advance...I owe you! i 95% sure its a d16a
Movintons
[post=450582]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=469888]Quoted post[/post]​

Back