ZC Dual Cam in 91 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gzucca

The motor in my 91 Civic is dying. I would like to to put a ZC dual cam in. I understand that it is a bolt in application. The area I am most concered in the ECU and wireing. How do I handle the wiring, are there any detailed instructions?

The motor in my 91 Civic is dying. I would like to to put a ZC dual cam in. I understand that it is a bolt in application. The area I am most concered in the ECU and wireing. How do I handle the wiring, are there any detailed instructions?

hate to keep saying it and sound like a dick, but do ur research bud, theres a whole thread ^ (posted above) thats up to date and shows step by step

^^^ Yeah.

I opted for a 92-95 4th Generation DOHC ZC, the newest one I could find, which is OBD1. If you put an OBD0 DOHC ZC in, I don't think there are any wiring changes required as it's also OBD0. I would rechip the ECU to a P29 map (not sure if the stock PM6 ECUcan be modified or not) or get the OBD0 ECU that goes along with the engine.

I"m using the injectors from the D16A6 right now, so no wiring was needed there as it was already MPFI with the 1991 D16A6. May change them in time to the OBD1 style and pull the resistor box.

Have a look at the thread and let me know if you have any questions. I went with the cheapest wiring harness adaptor I could find. (cost about $50 - it's listed in my thread - bare bones but good quality wire and connectors) What I needed was an OBD1 4-wire O2 sensor connector - the car harness side as the adaptor harness only had 4 wires and no O2 connector. It's hard wired right now and I have a connector on the way from a forum friend.

The other wiring I did was for the OBD1 distributor. I changed the dizzy connectors on the car harness side, so if/when I ever need to change the distributor it's just pull the part and install the new part - no wiring needed.

You can buy a higher end adaptor harness that will have the 4-wire O2 connector on it and adaptors for the distributor if you opt for OBD1 and need them. That's just personal choice depending upon how much wiring work you do or don't want to do. I opted to do some wiring on mine as the engine harness needed cleanup anyway and I added a 160 amp alternator that needed additional wiring to handle the high output. I also have some wiring experience so it was no big deal.

The whole engine harness in my hatch was stripped down one section at a time and totally re-wrapped and re-taped - basically looks new now. Pictures in the thread show the first attempt - I piggy backed the additional alternator wire along it. Didn't like it, so I redid the whole thing and put the new alternator wire inside along with everything else - looks factory. Also changed all the clamps to stainless steel aircraft type - pictures in thread of that. I'll update the thread with the real harness pictures one of these days.

I have some great wiring schmetics for the old OBD0 and OBD1 on CD-ROM. I'll send you copy if you initiate the project. Just send me a PM with your mailing address.

Good luck with it whatever your choice is.

Back