ZC from 87 to 91 civic hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kseries

will i have any problems swapping a D16A1 engine from a 1987 civic hatch to a 1991 civic hatch. i have been talking to some people and they have told me that i will have a problem because of the motor mounts. write if you have any anwsers. thanks

Yeah, you will have problems mounting the motor in to the new hatch, it a different kind of motor. It's not really a D-series, and i think the wiring is different, better off on finding a d series motor from a 88 and up civic minus the few newer models that dont use a distributor.

Quoted post[/post]]
will i have any problems swapping a D16A1 engine from a 1987 civic hatch to a 1991 civic hatch. i have been talking to some people and they have told me that i will have a problem because of the motor mounts. write if you have any anwsers. thanks
yes, you will have some problems - i assume your A1 has the vacuum advance distributor? that will be a problem on the 91 - the A1 mount on the driver's side end of the engine is on the front (toward radiator) of the block - the 91s have mount on end of block near the center (A1 has no holes in the block to put mount in right location) - the transmission on the A1 has completely different mounts and won't work without lots of work - the A1 will somewhat mate to the 88-91 transmission (not all of the bolts line up) - the starter on the A1 mounts differently from the 88-91 (A1 block does not have hole for the long starter bolt that is on the 88-91) - getting starter and flywheel to line up can be a problem - all that said, it has been done, just a lot of work - not worth it IMO

Im working on puting the 1 gen ZC in my 4gen hatch. The driverside mount is almost ready and just have the wireing to do(not going to use the vac. adv. timing).......its not that hard if you know what you doing
P1010012.JPG

Only problem at the moment is the hood....engine is too long

Well my swap is DONE. The 87 D16A1 (same as ZC1 what i have) fits just right.

Needed to modifiy:
1) 89 gearbox needed 2 holes trilled
2) A driver side mount needed to be made

I used 90 ZC intake (fit just right) and 90 dizzy

O4T1q553i1a3v1t1e6g1.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

Engine cost me 300$ and rebuild + new parts 200$ total about 500$

Back