ZC help guys! Need some info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jdubspeeds

I got a crx at my shop right now. Its a dx to zc. It runs but when you give it gas it bogs it self out, and clouds. I checked the compression its 180 across the board. Im getting spark and fuel delivery appears fine. Its pointing me toward a timing issue. Couple questions though.

1) When the 2 cams are pointing in the up position. Does the mark have to be right on or is ok to say have the intake cam a half tooth off? (this is how it is currently set)

2) This guy bought a brand new distributor for his zc but the one he bought was for 91 crx si. I am 99 percent sure that the firing order on the zc is the same as most hondas. (and pics of your zc motors would be appreaciated.)

3) Its not throwing any check codes, the ecu appears to be working correctly.

Thats about where im at right now, any advise would be appreciated I should know what the problem is but im just not figuring it our for some reason.

Its DOHC zc btw
:blink:

The ZC cams (I'm assuming it's a dualcam) top marks point a little skewed (like the left cam is 2 degrees left of north and the right cam is 2 degrees right of north). Check that your TPS is working and make sure you did change the outside wires around.

Ok so the story gets kinda funny now. Here is what I had to fix.

1) no rotor in his distributor (lol)
2) spark plug wires were in the wrong position
3) timing belt was off
4) valves were out of adjustment
5) spark plugs were coated in carbon
6) (my favorite) Map sensor was plugged into the Tps and the Tps was plugged into map
7) fuel filter was never changed with 160k on the car
8) motor hasnt ran in god only knows how long with unknown mileage. Intake manifold and TB totally full of gunk (carbon buildup etc..)
9) bad map sensor
10) no nut holding the front motor mount bolt inplace.
11) 1 bolt on the drivers side mount wasnt tight
12) current exhaust is a straight pipe with a glasspack going straight out the back with no tip. So you can see the glasspack out the back of the car. (no running problem but in my book this is just wrong)
13) after close examination of the car I discovered that he had Racing seat covers! I believe the seat covers are far to hi performance for his vechile.

Do you think anything else could be wrong with his motor, I was like jesus dude. lol Anyways. Story goes that he got the motor from some company and it had a bad block, So this guy and his buddy got a replacement block from the company and swapped the head on it. Now the car makes a dieseling knock sound, but strangly runs fairly well. :blink: *sigh* Doesnt it scare you that someone that didnt bother to check to see if his rotor was in the distributor managed to put a head on his car, and suprise suprise its got some kinda knock :blink: :blink: :blink:

Anyways ill stop babbling

Back