zc or b18a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 90 civic hatch with a ZC in it. I just bought a 05 accent and want to start a project with my civic. I also have a B18A1 from a 92 integra sitting in the corner of my grage. $$$ is not a problem and i am aiming for a 9 second civic. I am going to be rebuilding one of these engins from top to bottom with nothing but the best parts. I know that the stock B18A1 is a better racing engin then the stock ZC but what about when the engins ar fully built. Am i better to do the b series swap or is a properley built ZC going to be abel to perform like B18A1? Or should i buy a B18C? Is there much difference in the A and C if i plan on swapping out all the internales and building it as powerful as possible? I plan on racing this car at the local dragstrip and running 30 lbs of boost. I'm new to the honda scene so any help would be much appricated. thanks

9 seconds is going to be damn expensive to reach any way you look at it, but it'll be cheaper and easier with the b18. An LSD trans and slicks will be a must, and LSD is far more common with the B series than the D.

I know it wont be cheep. I have just started tearing the car apart and it's going to be a 2 hopefully, probely 3 year project, from the ground up. I just wasnt to sure of the ZC's full potential. I kinda thought i would have to go with the B18 and i know the lsd and slicks ar going a must. Now how about the B18C, how much better is it then the B18A. if im replacing all the internales is there any point? I have the A but can get a C if its relly that much better thanks

I would build the b18a short block and than look into a b16a,b or b18c1,c5 head to build and put on it. Or if money is not a concern you could substitute a built b20z short block instead of the b18. Search this site for ls/vtec and you can find some great information on how to build the motor. Also you may want to talk to the guys at Endyn. They have built a few monster honda motors in the past and have some great information in their archives.

well damn ricky bobby if money isnt an issue and you wanna go fast you might wanna do something along this route... these guys seem to know what they are doing :D

T1 SFWD Integra

go for the B18A1 over the ZC, especially since you already have one sitting around. More displ. = more potential and like Fernpatch said, you can always put on a VTEC head when you're building the block and go ls/vtec and Turbo.

(or you can always go with a K-series turbo if you wanna get crazy:D)

As im researching honda engins and reading all the forums I come to realise the B18 is the way to go. As far a K-series, no. From what i can see the B-series swap is far easier. The K is only for bragging lol. There is verry few K-series putting out better numbers then the B-18. B18 vtec turbo all the way.

Good choice, and yes the B-series is easier to install. I only mentioned the K b/c you said money is not a problem and you wanted to see 9's, which is still going to be alot of work. A properly built ls/VTEC Turbo would be damn fun in an EF though.

BTW
The K is only for bragging lol. There is verry few K-series putting out better numbers then the B-18.

^^^I hope you were being sarcastic.

Back