ZC or D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

i am wondering wich would be better to put in my 90 crx si? which can i get more power out of in the long run without useing a turbo? The ZC is a way easyer swap to do right?

ZC = easier swap
Z6 = easier everything after the swap

Z6 = more aftermarket support by a long shot
Z6 = only harder to install because of wiring VTEC

You can get just as much power out of both without using a turbo- but the ZC will have to use quite a few more aftermarket parts. Cams are really hard to find for the DOHC ZC, but they're everywhere for the Z6. OEM pistons can be used to raise the Z6 to all sorts of different compression levels, but the DOHC ZC would need aftermarket slugs.... and on and on and on.

Wiring for the Z6 is almost as easy as the DOHC ZC- just add a VTEC controller and you're good to go.

you can pull quite a bit of easy power out of the D16Z6 without spending too much money. One of the basic formulas is to up the compression to 12.0:1 with DOHC ZC pistons (PM7 or P29) that you can get for about $100, then add on an aggressive head and valvetrain. A typical cam for the SOHC VTEC will run you about $250-350, and matching valvetrain is only about $250 more.

I was planning a similar build for my CRX. I was going to use a SOHC ZC block, DOHC ZC pistons, P&P Z6 head, and Crower Stage 3 cam + valvetrain. A VAFC would have been used to tune. Overall it would have cost me less than $1000 in parts (labor free with me in my garage), and I would have been looking for about 160-165whp. Torque would have been in the vicinity of 115lbft to the wheels.

Something like that would make quite a peppy little engine for not much cash at all.

i would like to do somthing like that. BTW thats from Calesta

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@Jun 22 2004, 06:51 PM
you can pull quite a bit of easy power out of the D16Z6 without spending too much money.  One of the basic formulas is to up the compression to 12.0:1 with DOHC ZC pistons (PM7 or P29) that you can get for about $100, then add on an aggressive head and valvetrain.  A typical cam for the SOHC VTEC will run you about $250-350, and matching valvetrain is only about $250 more.

I was planning a similar build for my CRX.  I was going to use a SOHC ZC block, DOHC ZC pistons, P&P Z6 head, and Crower Stage 3 cam + valvetrain.  A VAFC would have been used to tune.  Overall it would have cost me less than $1000 in parts (labor free with me in my garage), and I would have been looking for about 160-165whp.  Torque would have been in the vicinity of 115lbft to the wheels.

Something like that would make quite a peppy little engine for not much cash at all.

i would like to do somthing like that. BTW thats from Calesta

Yes I know- I typed that. :p

There aren't too many people on this board with extensively modded D series engines.

well heres what i wanna do to the D16z6 when i get it:
-pm7 pistons
-p&p head
-zex cam
-zex springs and retainers
not sure what header but i'll keep my my medalion catback and no name intake

any other mods that would give me big power?

hey since i already have a d16a6 would i be ok to keep my block and just buy the head wireing harness and ecu? you know a mini-me. same thing right?

Since you already have a d16a6, it would be the same thing. If you decide to use your d16a6 pistons i believe the compression is in the mid 10s, but if you go with the ZC pistons you will get 12:1. I wanted to get that same exact setup, but I didnt have time to build the motor.

The Z6 head on the A6 bottom will only get you 9.9:1 compression.

well even if i used my a6 block i would still swap the pm7 pistons in so then it would be the same as useing the z6 block with the pm7 pistons. right?

not intentionally jacking the thread but i am puttin a d16z6 into my ef hatch dx. Any help on this or anything i should know before starting this because i have to have this swap done in a weekend (daily driver) and dont want to run into any road blocks. I want to use my ef tranny instead of the 95 d16 tranny and am curious on which clutch and flywheel to use also I am getting a obd 0 to 1 conversion harness so vtec shouldn't be a problem right???? got a p28 coming so i should be all set??? also thanks in advance for the help and anything would be appreciated.

* didnt want to start a new post so sorry for "threadjacking"

-rush

tylonal, yeah that is correct. Once you get this done, put some pics and dyno charts up. Im very interested to see what kinda power its gonna make. Your car is gonna be pretty quick when you get it done.

I would definitely say so if you want to make the power it is capable of. What are you planning on using for engine management? That is going to be where most of the tuning comes in. Getting the proper fuel and ignition curve. You will probably want to raise your rev limit also in order to take advantage of the extra revs. Besides ignition and fuel, you will probably have to deal with cam timing. That should be most of it though.

Back