ZC questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

O.k. - so I don't really know shit about ZC motors so bear with me. My buddy just bought a 95 civic coupe and it is already modified. Well, he brings it over to my place the other day and I pop the hood. The block says ZC. The head looks just like my old D16z head. It says Honda VTEC on it. The girl he bought it from didn't know shit. She said she bought it from someone with an integra motor. (she doesn't know which one) Her dad's, brother's, friend's, mother's, uncle has a auto shop and they swapped the motor for her. No one knows shit.

I was under the impression that ZC motors were non VTEC. I drove his car and it is way fast for a 125 hp car. However - he almost bought my old civic and he drove it many times. We BOTH agree that my civic was faster. So, it is faster than a stock motor, but not as fast as a 140 hp ZC or whatever they may be. I don't think. Maybe my single cam was just REALLY fast. I know that you can't really feel VTEC kick in on a single cam like you can on a dohc, but I am pretty sure his car is NOT a vtec. Why does it say VTEC on the head? Do ZC motors hook up to D16 trannys? If it is a ZC how do I know if it's sohc or dohc? Is there any ID tags on the tranny? What the fuck is up?

Not always. I used to own a JDM SOHC ZC that was identical to a stock SI D16A6. I now that it has higher compession and a little more horses. I assuming that is what this is and some just put a VTEC valve cover on it.

So there is no way to tell if it's sohc or dohc but to rip it apart? And how would you know if it is actually a VTEC or it is just a VTEC valve cover on a non VTEC?

If the plugs are in the center of the valve cover in a valley, then the motor is a twin-cam. The vtec solenoid found on the head near the distributor, identifies the fact that it is/not a vtec motor.

I didn't know there was any car that came as an SOHC ZC. Are you sure it wasn't a ZC block with a d16a6 head somehow??

Edit: I really don't know though. I thought all ZCs were DOHC non vtec??

Meth - there was actually a sohc ZC motor made... That is why I am wondering if he has a "mini me"? Can you do a mini me with a ZC/d16 hybrid? I am begining to think it is a sohc ZC motor with a D16 VTEC head on it. If so, would the VTEC be hooked up? Or could it be? What kind of power are we talking?

<---- Stumped <_<

I believe they came with the canadian CRX/Civic (between a Si and Sir Model. Something a little more peppy then the D16 but not the all out DOHC. They care alot up there about fuel economy. Like the 1.5 E-Vtec!!! They do exist kinda rare. I did have one and can prove that they exist.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Aug 1 2003, 03:01 PM
to find out if its vtec or not, pop the valve cover off and look at the cam lobes.

a vtec valve cover wont fit on a non-vtec head.

Christ - too much conflicting information!!!! :shrug2:
Well, I guess it's a sohc VTEC ZC motor then right? 130 hp? The VTEC ZC head looks just like every other D16 EX motor? Kewl, 5 extra hp. And I though he would have to use stickers..... :D

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Aug 1 2003, 12:01 PM
to find out if its vtec or not, pop the valve cover off and look at the cam lobes.

You dont' even need to do that. Look on the top left part of the valve cover, is there a little solenoid attached next to it attached to the head? If so, that's the VTEC solenoid.

how could someone ask if a motor is a sohc or a dohc. wtf. does it have one cam or two. its a very simple question/answer. and a sohc vtec valve cover WILL NOT fit on a non-vtec head. the spark plug holes go in the opposited direction. on a sohc vtec, the spark plug hols slant toward the exhaust side and on a sohc non-vtec, the spark plug holes slant towards the firewall.

Originally posted by DTEC@Aug 1 2003, 03:18 PM
how could someone ask if a motor is a sohc or a dohc. wtf. does it have one cam or two. its a very simple question/answer. and a sohc vtec valve cover WILL NOT fit on a non-vtec head. the spark plug holes go in the opposited direction. on a sohc vtec, the spark plug hols slant toward the exhaust side and on a sohc non-vtec, the spark plug holes slant towards the firewall.

:werd:

Look at the cam gears!!! :bash: :bash: :bash:

Originally posted by khrisb+Aug 1 2003, 05:34 PM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Aug 1 2003, 05:10 PM
DTEC
@Aug 1 2003, 03:18 PM
and a sohc vtec valve cover WILL NOT fit on a non-vtec head.

Huh. What's a mini-me then????? ;)

VTEC HEAD ON NON VTEC BLOCK!!!
The valve cover will fit because it is a vtec head.

How long have you been on this board???
J/K

I didn't read his post very carefully.... I never said I thought it was a vtec valve cover, I thought it was a VTEC HEAD on a non vtec BLOCK. A ZC NON VTEC BLOCK. And I thought that ZC motors were dohc and I only saw the car for a couple minutes... like I said - It's my buddies car. I also said I don't know shit about ZC motors so a DOHC ZC motor could look like a rabbit for all I know, I've never seen one. :rant:

Back