ZC rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Well I got my zc in this winter, runs good and I like it. I honestly have never drivin a car this fast before and I am impressed by its speed already. But I need a project again for next winter. I am looking to add a small turbo, rebuild the bottom end and do some work on the head (cams & maybe pnp). I know you are all going to say get a b series but, I want to keep this. I am looking for about 200whp when I am done. I know it be easier with a b series, but to get another motor, ecu, mounts, tranny, more wiring, I don't want to get all that again. So what be a good turbo setup with a good bottom end? Looking for lower price turbo, one I can rebuild maybe even. I want to bore out the motor to a bigger displacement too. What pistons would match a larger bore? Or is there a good site that tells you all this stuff?

I don't think anyone on this site is going to tell you exactly how to build your kit... read up some. I will give you a few tips though:

Don't bore the engine. Your 1.6L is plenty enough to make 200whp under boost without weakening the cylinder walls. Your stock pistons and rods can handle the 200whp goal also- just make sure you tune everything properly.

Calesta are you saying that a stock ZC motor with enough boost could safely put out 200Whp with proper tuning?

If you are lookin to buy I have a sohc ZC which needs rings. But if you are building it then they'll get replaced. Ill sell for $200 let me know.

Originally posted by ohmstable@May 26 2004, 03:50 AM
Calesta are you saying that a stock ZC motor with enough boost could safely put out 200Whp with proper tuning?

Pretty much, yeah. You might want to pick up a set of cam gears to cut down your overlap or get some cams to pick up the lift some, but yeah- you can make 200whp on a stock block DOHC ZC.

Probably not without an aftermarket cam... but with the right head flow, the SOHC ZC block should be able to hold 200whp.

Why not? The D16Z6 and D16Y8 guys run 200-220whp with bolt on turbo kits and good tuning, all without going inside the engine to change a thing. The D16A6 bottom end is just as strong- it just has twice the number of oiling holes on the crank as the Z6 and Y8.

not bad, thanks for the info, I couldn't find too much about building up the zc so I thought I'd ask. I already have the zc in there and running so I'm not looking to buy hehe. Would a small junk yard turbo that I can rebuild do the trick? Or is that too small ie chrysler/mitsubishi turbo?

200WHP doesn't need a massive turbo.

I'd say look to a 50trim T3 - if junkyarding, look to Saabs, larger Volvo engines, etc. A T25 or 14b from a mitsu would prob be a little too small. If you want to run a smaller turbo, you will *need* a 2bar or 3bar MAP sensor. You're not going to hit 200WHP on 10psi with a small turbo + a ZC. Just not going to happen.

A decent T3, decent manifold, properly sized IC, 3" DP, 3" exhaust would be able to hit 200WHP by 14.7psi easily and safely.

hmm, it has a brand new crx si exhaust from front to back, bored out cat, zc header and zc 2-1 downpipe, I forget the diameter of it. Can I keep that if possible, I know the header has to go, I am looking for stock look with the car? The stock injectors ok too?

You can keep the exhaust and dead cat (I would get a new one), but you would probably want to upgrade your injectors if you're planning on hitting 200whp.

DSM 450s... Worth their weight in gold. $50/set all day long round here.

www.turboedit.org will probably help too :)

My friend Tony's turbo D16A6 pulled 13.14@108 on slicks in a 89 HF using a Volvo 760 T3 @10psi with a Saab Viggen IC. We're too cheap to take cars to the dyno, but those results assuming a 1800lb car+driver say we made ~180WHP. That's a single cam on an extremely budget setup with extremely good tuning :)

from what I have been reading, the hf manifold with an adapter plate, and then make your own downpipe? or do they make a kit for the volvo/saab turbo to hook everything together?

if you use a HF/std/CX mainfold, it would be a really good idea to port the shit out of them. tony spent a couple hours with a electric die grinder on his.

he used a spacer plate + adapter plate purchased from BMC racing on homemadeturbo.com

The Saab T3 I hae on my LS is notceably larger than the Volvo one on Tony's car - I'd try to find one if you can. If you feel like going bling-spec, a .48AR 50trim T3/T4 will do the job real nice.

Thanks guys! If I were going to rebuild the motor anyway to stock specs where could I find new rings, wrist pins, etc for the zc? Are there some compatible from other motors?

The dealer? You can also get the parts used from other D series engines. I'm pretty sure that all the SOHC D series rings and pins are compatible.

Back