ZC Swap Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

OK, i have the motor in and it runs. It is currently throwing a code 9, I have worked all the codes out but this one. Whenever I drive it, it is very, very slow and I cant figure out why. All the vacuum lines are correct and everything is hooked up. I cant figure out if it has a bad distributor, or if the cam angle sensor is bad. It is under warranty and a new distributor is on the way. Also, i need to check the ignition timing. Is it common practice to check the ignition when finishing the swap. All of the people I know that did swaps just swapped and drove away. Basically, what I want to know is can a bad distributor or cam angle sensor cause a car to be terribly slow? I mean it is much slower than my SI engine was. Please help guys. Thanks.

Its eithier your CYP sensor on cylinder 1, or your TDC sensor. Both codes would lead me to start looking distributor area? Just what I found looking around for you. Sorry couldnt be more help.

code 9 is CPS which is on the end of the exhaust camshaft - since you have Si, the only wiring changes you needed to make for the swap were swapping out the distributor plugs and extending the blue/yellow and blue/green wires to the green plug on the CPS - check to make sure that you have these wires matching color for color and that all connections are secure - if this is all o.k., you might have a bad CPS - one from 88-89 integra will work

I have checked all my wiring and it is correct. I checked the resistance on the distributor and cam angle sensor. Both were bad. I put the new distributor on and checked the timing and now the timing actually goes back and forth. I think this is due to the cam angle sensor being bad. I think the original distributor on the motor couldnt adjust the timing, like advance it under wide open throttle. That explains why it was so slow. I am putting the CAS in tomorrow and hopefully this thing will finally run right. Anyone have any experience with a bad CAS, does it make the car almost choke out? Thanks.

OK, what the hell is the deal!!! I put a new cam angle sensor in and it is still throwing a code 9! I do not understand what the deal is. The car is driveable but it feels like it has some hesitation and it is still slower than it was stock. Also, when I rev it for awhile the battery light will flicker on and off and sometimes the car will idle at like 3 or 4 hundred RPM. It has a strong smell of fuel from the exhaust too. Please help, I am totally lost. Why is it still throwing a code 9?

I had the same problem until i just rewired the sensor all togrther. the car would start but would not rev past 3500 rpms i rewired the ecu again and all was fine. It took 2 weeks for me to figure this out but now am verry happy i did. Just double check all connections especially at the ecu and see what happens.

My car will rev past 3500 though. I just dont understand it!!! It drives fine and the timing is right, but it is slower than stock and flashes a code 9. What do you mean you had to rewire the whole sensor and ecu?

mine was throwing a code 9 but it was actually the cps that was the problem. the car ran fine just had no power. i actually thought the motor was bad it was so slow and sluggish. i rewired the cps at the ecu started it and now the engine runs flawlessly. now my problem lies in the tranny. cant figure out that ?????????

I thought the cam angle sensor and cylinder position sensors were the same thing. I thought it just went by both names. What do you mean you had to rewire it at the ecu, i mean were the wires just bad? Did you have to run wires from the ecu to the sensors? Please help.

I have done all of the wiring so far. I got a question though. When i was setting the timing I forgot to jump the ignition timing connector under the dash. What will it do if you didnt jump that connector. Thanks.

ur not gonna believe this... i just did the SAME thing... i just picked up a timing light and set my timing... i did not jump the connector either... later that night... i got a CEL code 9. although i do have a b16 rather than a zc, i think there is a trend here. anyone know if not jumping the connector could cause this?

OK, I jumped the connector and im still getting the code 9. The car also really smells like fuel. Whenever i read the plugs they are really black, not gummed with oil though. It is a shiny, sooty black. Anyone have any ideas.

OK, I checked the cam timing and the exhaust cam had jumped a tooth. The car started to run like ass and really hesitate. It is throwing a code 8 and a code 9. I have checked all of my wiring and it is correct with no breaks in any of the wires. Will that cause it to throw an 8 and a 9. I really need help and I'm about to go postal if I dont get this thing running. Thanks.

OK, finally got the zc running right. It is making power now. I got the cams lined up and all went well. It drives fine and the ZC has a really nice sweet spot from about 4k to 7k. The only problem now, it throws a code 9 every now and then. I dont understand, it doesnt always throw it. What could make it throw it every now and then.

Man, it sure is fun talking to myself! LOL :D Anyways though, has anyone had any problems with a code 9 only coming on every now and then. It takes it awhile to get the code when it does. Thanks.

yeah man, mine does the exact same thing. it idles really bad, but it hesitates when i go through to the upper rpms. i got no ideas yet. i was told a bad distributor, but ive gone through 3. its slow and sluggish. im throwin a code 9 also but its intermitten, sometimes it pops up, sometimes it wont. and i have a BRAND new CAS in it! im at my wits end. imgonna go through the vaccuum lines and everything else tomrrow at work, check my timing, other thn that im lost, let me know what you find out. it chokes and amost wants to die at idle.

Back