ZC Swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

OK, my ZC is on its way as we speak. I have a few things to clear up before it arrives and I begin the swap. I have a 90 CRX Si by the way. OK, when getting ready to put the engine in, do you have to put the drivers side mounting bracket onto the timing belt side of the zc for the mount to work? Does this only have to be done for the d16a1 usdm integra engine? Or do the stock mounts just go right onto the motor. I know when doing the d16z6 swap that you have to put the a6 drivers side bracket onto it and I need to know if you need to for ZC swap also. Thanks.

if it is DOHC ZC - use stock CRX mounts - bolts right in - don't need to change anything on the engine - you will have to make minor wiring change at the distributor - use the Si harness

JliCRX, Yeah it is a DOHC ZC. I thought that it just bolted right up to the mounts but I read something on a site that made me wonder. I think it was for the D16a1 usdm teg motor though. Thanks.

this is all you need to do if you bolt it to your si tranny (recommended)

the motor will bolt in, all your electrical will swap over no problem exept for the distributor plug, what you are going to need to do is

remove the blue/yellow and blue/green wires from your harness plug and extend them over to the CAS on the exaust cam,

the ZC distributor has a square male plug, so you are gonna need a square female plug (hopefully one will come with your motor) your si distributor plug is round. so you need to de-pin this and move all the wires to the square plug

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Aug 11 2003, 01:05 PM

the ZC distributor has a square male plug, so you are gonna need a square female plug (hopefully one will come with your motor) your si distributor plug is round. so you need to de-pin this and move all the wires to the square plug

if one doesn't come with engine, just get one from DX

Or better yet, do it ghetto style and straight wire it with butt-connectors. LOL!!! But seriously though, what I was confused about is the bracket that you have to switch out on a usdm 88-89 teg engine. I read it somewhere and kinda freaked me cuz i thought i knew everything i needed to know.

dont worry about the 88-89 teg engine the ZC is different , the parts are interchangable but the d16A1 block is different:
http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/D16A1%20BLOCK
this is the usdm d16a1 block notice the side mounts
the JDM black top ZC has the same block pattern as the d16a6, everything on the block itself is the same minus the oil cooler on the back and the different head bolt pattern.

think of it like this, the bottom (short block) of the zc is identicle with the the D16a6, the top (head) of the zc is identicle with the d16a1 minus the valve cover bolt pattern

and just incase anyone asks this question that has been asked prolly 1,000,000 times, you cannot put a ZC head on an a6 block, or a6 head on a ZC block

Well, my ZC arrived today!!!!! Looks to be in good shape, not a spot of oil. Anyways,during the trip here it got the usual cracked distributor cap. Can I use my stock SI one, they kinda look similar? If not, then I guess I need an 89 teg cap, right? Thanks.

Thanks HONDAMOCO.! I'm sure glad I dont have to spend anymore money! This ZC has really weight reduced my wallet.

Back