ZC swap wiring help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Michael Parisio

i have a 1991 Honda civic wagon and my d15 PGMFI (throttle body) blew up this week!
this is my first honda so pleas bare with me...

i'm looking for a motor and i found a 84-87 ZC 1.6 DOHC motor and i'm very interested in picking this up to put in my car.

the questions i have are
1. what ECU do i run? can i run my stock 91 D15 ecu
2. how do I power the fuel injectors? (where do i pull the power from, the already existing injectors?)
3. will my 89 si trans mount up? (ZC is a D series right?)

Have a look at https://hondaswap.com/threads/zc-dohc-1991-hatchback-transplant-epilog.515235/

The ECU depends upon distributor more than anything else. OBD0 or OBD1 distributor will be what drives the correct ECU. Injectors should then follow the ECU choice in terms of peak and hold or saturated. For my build I used a 4th generation DOHC ZC engine and the TD-43 distributor which is OBD1. Also changed injectors to saturated type and pulled the resistor box out.

You will need two wiring schematics - 1) For the Target vehicle (your car), 2) From the Donor model vehicle. Then you can figure out what to change.

i have a 1991 Honda civic wagon and my d15 PGMFI (throttle body) blew up this week!
this is my first honda so pleas bare with me...

i'm looking for a motor and i found a 84-87 ZC 1.6 DOHC motor and i'm very interested in picking this up to put in my car.

the questions i have are
1. what ECU do i run? can i run my stock 91 D15 ecu
2. how do I power the fuel injectors? (where do i pull the power from, the already existing injectors?)
3. will my 89 si trans mount up? (ZC is a D series right?)

for any MPFI engine swap in your car, you will need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring conversion and use a MPFI ECU - that said, the 84-87 DOHC ZC engine will not bolt into your 91 chassis - the mounts are different - the 84-87 DOHC ZC has the driver's side mount on the front of the engine toward the radiator, not on the end like your 91 - you would have to fabricate a custom mount - the 84-87 DOHC ZC engine block has a slightly different bolt pattern where the transmission bolts on and also has a different starter mounting - these things can, however, be overcome - the 84-87 DOHC ZC engine uses a vacuum advance ignition system, not the electronic advance found on 88 and up models

I merged your two threads together. Please only make thread for each question.

Back