zc swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I currently have a eg hatch dual carby setup and I was told that if I want to drop in a ZC engine it is possible to use my existing wiring harness, because (as I was told) even tho it's dual carby, it still has an ecu..

It's the Aussie 'breeze' model..

Is this tru, and if so can anyone point me in the right direction for doing this?

I think you can still use the harness, but you will have to use parts of the one that comes on the ZC engine you get.

The carb->efi conversion is going to be very tricky, so i do not know if it would be worth using the old harness. I would suggest purchasing a conversion harness. B used to have a place that made them, but i havent seen the ad in a while. Check the boards and see if it pops up.

If its carb I believe you have to re-do the whole fuel system as well. What year was it? You can try redpepperracing.com for info.

I thought a company made full harnesses for B series engines. Thats what i meant. I dont know why i said conversion.

Ok yeh the engine comes with the new wiring harness but I might have trouble installing the new harness.

If possible I would prefer to use the existing harness...

Would the existing harness simply plug into the new engine via the shock tower connectors?

Would any modifications be required?

I know I have to get an efi fuel tank and fuel pump and run a relay from the engine harness to the pump in order to power it...

umm where are you getting an engine with a complete harness...usually they are cut at the firewall.

it's a complete harness...

i'd prefer to keep the existing harness if possible, but i'm not sure how much trouble it would be to keep the harness over the trouble to put in the new one

I think it would be a problem to use the old harness because you would have to convert to Fuel Injection. My vote is use the new harness.

well i'm already convering to fuel injection because the zc is going in

do u know what modifications i would need to do on the existing wire harnesS?

No, I dont, thats why my suggestion was to use the new one. Everything is already wired correctly.

ahh right, the thing is i dont know how to install the new wiring harness. the engine bay wiring seems ok - just hook up the shock tower connectors. but the cabin side seems a bit tricky..

any tips or writeups about installing a new wire harness?

Who are you getting the new harness from...and where are you getting the engine. I still find it hard to believe you are getting a ZC with a full harness.

Really, i dont think it would be that difficult to do...personally i would put the harness on, label all the plugs, then drop the engine in and wire everything after. When i did my swap i dont know if the wires were just used to where they were, but nothing moved...i just dropped the new engine in and ran 4 wires.

the guy is buying a half cut so he is getting a new wiring harness..

when i look under the steering column theres a whole bunch of wires there, are any of those attached to the wiring harness?

or would i have to replace them?

from what i can tell, no they arent...every wire that comes out of my ECU goes through my firewall.

oooh ok that clears up alot of things..

so basically the only thing that is connected within the firewall (cabin side) is the ecu.

all the wires that go out of the ecu go straight thru the firewall and connect into the engine?

Back