ZC swappin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brownkobe8

ok so ya i finally decided to purchase ZC DOHC 88-92 civic now also got the engine honda swap book to help me out more bout droppin in the zc into my 90 DX hatch.
I was told to expect to have problems bout the cylinder position sensor is located at the end of the exhuat camshaft instead inthe distributor i just need to make an extension to the harness, their might be some wiring on ECU cuz of extra injectors, Now my other question bout ECU can i just take out my ECU and replace it with it with PG7,PM7, or the PM6 from the civic with MPFI, for i dont need to worry bout the injector stuff.
Ill be goin to the shop to pay for my engine now im thinking bout gettin the tranny as well so wat do i do bout the axles can still use the ones out of my dx tranny.
also how do i go on buyin misc. parts like water, oil pumps, tps, throttle bodies and etc. do i just go to autozone and order it for the car year like 90 civic 1.6
Also as well like performance parts like headers, rods and etc. if im gettin the civic zc engine when i look up on andys auto or like jcwhitney do i look under my car 88-91 civic

also if i use my the tranny out of 90 DX to safe money when i bolt it up with the zc when i want to purchase racing clutch and lighten flywheel to i can buy for the 88-91 civic and it will be an easy bolt on right?

the JDM DOHC ZC that you want is the one for the 88-91 CRX/Civic which is OBD0 and bolts right into your DX - most engine importers call this engine the 1st generation ZC (although technically not correct) - a so-called 2nd generation ZC which is OBD1 from the 92-95 model cars can be used but it takes a little more work to convert things to make it work in the 88-91 CRX/Civic

the OBD0 ECU for the JDM DOHC ZC is the PM7 and it will bolt right into the car and plug right in to the harness - the USDM PM6 ECU from 88-91 CRX/Civic Si can be also be used but doesn't work as well as the PM7 - you can also use the PG7 ECU from 88-89 (not 86-87) USDM Integra (manual transmission) which works about the same as the PM7 - it will plug right into the harness, however, it has a different case with different mounting points, so it doesn't fit like the stock ECU

when buying parts for the DOHC ZC, the only thing you need to remember is that everything above the top of the block is the same as the 88-89 Integra D16A1 and everything below the top of the block is the same as the 88-91 CRX/Civic Si D16A6 - the one exception to this is the timing belt which is not the same as either the D16A1 or D16A6 - the timing belt is the same as the 88 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si (Honda Part No. 14400-PK2-004) - throttle bodies on the 88-89 Integra and the 88-91 CRX/Civic Si are the same and either will work on the ZC - aftermarket header for the 88-91 CRX/Civic bolts right up to the ZC, however, the ports in the head are a little off in relation to the header and to make it right, you should grind out the header to match the ports in the head (we have run headers without matching them to the head and don't see much, if any, difference in how it runs) - SOHC D-series intake manifolds will not bolt to the DOHC ZC head unless you use an adapter plate (available from ZCspeed.com)

in order to install the DOHC ZC into your DX, you will need to convert yor DX engine wiring harness from DPFI to MPFI - go here for instructions for doing this:

http://www.zcspeed.com/DXZCwiring.pdf

the ZC will bolt right to your 90 DX transmission and you just use the flywheel and clutch from your engine - if you were to purchase the JDM ZC transmission with the engine (a very good transmission choice) you will not be able to use your stock DX axles - the ZC transmission utilizes an intermediate axle shaft and the larger equal length axles that are the same as the 90-93 Integra - if you decide to go this way, you need to make sure that you get a ZC intermediate shaft (manual transmission) with the engine and transmission - the ZC shaft is the only one that fits and they are kind of hard to find

Back