ZC Turbo ?'s

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Looking to add a turbo to the zc this coming winter when the car is off the road again. I don't know that much about it yet. I am looking to get around 200whp. Probably a t3 turbo as you guys have suggested before, adjustable cam gears, intercooler, bigger injectors and I am going to rebuild the bottom end too. My topmost priority is reliability with this car because I do road trips very often. Can I do any tuning myself to this to help prevent any detonation, or do you guys think detonation won't be a problem with this setup? I don't want to run a fuel management system if possible.

200whp on a ZC is not a good idea without fuel management of some sort. you might want to look into learning to use an ECU editing program, such as TurboEDIT. the initial expense is high, but once you learn to do it, it will save you countless time and money.

www.ecucontrol.com
www.pgmfi.org

do a little reading on those sites, it will prove very informative.

the stronger bottom end helps, but it still doesnt take care of fuel delivery issues.

ok, you HAVE to run some sort of fuel management. there is 0 way around it.

even an FMU is a, yup, fuel management unit.

that said, I'd rather run a stock block than shit fuel 101023123:1 anyday.

the zc will hold 200 whp no problem- if its tuned right.
i built zc will hold 300+, but not if it detonates everytime you give it gas.

Does a fmu have to inlcude a computer controlled system? ie hondata, zdyne etc? or is there another system?

nope. its operated on vacuum.

read the sticky at the top of this forum, subtitles, turbo 101 by loco

I read it again and didn't understand this:
Cheapest way is to use a 12:1 FMU, a high pressure in line fuel pump (HAS to be high pressure inline), and a Missing Link
what is a missing link? did he forget to put a line in there?

And what is ment by a 12:1 FMU? is that an air to fuel ratio or something? what is a dsm and afc I imagine is a automatic fuel control? Basically from this quote here:
Cheapest way is to use a 12:1 FMU, a high pressure in line fuel pump (HAS to be high pressure inline), and a Missing Link. This will be good for about 200 HP, but will have slight fuel lag and is non- tunable. If you run lean, you must reduce the boost. The next cheapest method for fuel delivery is 450cc injectors from a DSM and using an AFC hacked to run off the MAP sensor, a high flow (not high pressure) fuel pump, and maybe a 1:1 FMU.

Originally posted by cheese9988@Jun 11 2004, 06:41 PM
I read it again and didn't understand this:
Cheapest way is to use a 12:1 FMU, a high pressure in line fuel pump (HAS to be high pressure inline), and a Missing Link
what is a missing link? did he forget to put a line in there?

And what is ment by a 12:1 FMU? is that an air to fuel ratio or something? what is a dsm and afc I imagine is a automatic fuel control? Basically from this quote here:
Cheapest way is to use a 12:1 FMU, a high pressure in line fuel pump (HAS to be high pressure inline), and a Missing Link. This will be good for about 200 HP, but will have slight fuel lag and is non- tunable. If you run lean, you must reduce the boost. The next cheapest method for fuel delivery is 450cc injectors from a DSM and using an AFC hacked to run off the MAP sensor, a high flow (not high pressure) fuel pump, and maybe a 1:1 FMU.

DSM= turbo eclipse,talon,laser
AFC= Apex-i air fuel converter

ok I read another post and found the answers to some of those and I think I will do the afc hack. I assume the afc just controls the larger injectors right? Has anybody tried this and had any success?

you're retarded if you run the hack at this point.

you can get your ECU chipped for far less than a VAFC, and turboedit will run your car far better. Then again, I'm somewhat biased... I wrote the boost code that Turboedit uses. :)

as for a bottom end rebuild, LS rods machined to fit D series crank, PDM 98-01 GX civic pistons will be a strong setup in mid-9s compression that will hold up to 300HP pretty easily. That's what I'm planning on for my ZC - LS/PDN/T3/starion/TurboEdit

Back