zc turbo ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cavrx

ok i got a turbo for free off of a wrx (subaru). i also have a sohc zc in the process of being slightly built with a d-16 y8 head. can i utilize the wrx turbo ti boost it?

I've heard you can't use turbo's off of the new SRT-4's and Lancer EVO's, I'm not sure about a turbo off of a WRX though.

a t25 or 14b off of a 4g63 would work.

why can't you?

as long as you have a manifold with the proper flange to bolt it on to, a turbo is a turbo.

you can't use the turbo off of a srt4 because they are built into the exhaust mani.

ok.. that's odd. i've never heard of that. you could always cut it and weld it on to a honda manifold though... and still, the turbo would work

99 and newer vw tdi's (diesel) use turbo/manifold that is very close to that of a B series turbo is made by garrett

Originally posted by racintweek@Mar 24 2004, 07:25 AM
99 and newer vw tdi's (diesel) use turbo/manifold that is very close to that of a B series turbo is made by garrett

I would never use that weak turbo from the TDI's.

the tdi turbo wastegates are controlled by the ecm the turbo it self can make 18psi

thats why any turbo vw engine makes crazy power and torque after they are chipped to keep the wastgate closed longer

Originally posted by turbo4dr@Mar 24 2004, 03:51 AM
you can't use the turbo off of a srt4 because they are built into the exhaust mani.

I didn't know that... I just saw a step by step DIY with pictures on how to upgrade the turbocharger, and you can just unbolt the stock unit and throw a new one on there. It's not part of the exhaust manifold.

i actually saw it in a magazine as one peice also but the mopar stage 2 kit gives you a 4-1 style turbo header with extrenal wastegate and a larger trim t3/t4 turbo

Maybe its just me but from an engineering standpoint, having the turbine housing and exhaust mani be the same casting would be pretty dumb. What happens when you need to service the turbo or change a gasket.

Also, some turbo diesles make almost 30psi of boost. I figure that would be great to use for a DIY project. Of course the compression of the engine is going to be much higher and the exhaust stream is probobly going to be alot different then a gasoline engine.

Does a turbo off of a small diesle make a good gas turbo? Im going to boost my LS engine once its finished and installed in my car and my dad has an old turbo diesle thats about to fall apart so any input would be appreciated.

most diesl motors on rigs use t4/60-1 turbos.
im not sure what smaller deisel motors run... but the type of gas running the motor has little effect ion the turbo itself. it will function fine on a gas motor

so i guess i can use the turbo huh?
its got the markings td04L on the side of it if that means anything

Back