How does this setup sound???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Okay well, since my CRX got stolen last summer, i have been wanting to get another one, but basically i have just been waiting to get enough money to do everything right and not take any shortcuts. Also i have been deciding whether i want to mess with another Honda, especially with them being one of the most common stolen cars here in So Cal.

Well, i have basically made up my mind that i DO want to get another Rex, so i have been trying to decide on the best setup to suit my needs. Basically i want a light motor that i can take to the drags every once in a while, and maybe try out the AutoX whenever they have it. My plans are to stay N/A, but i Do want to maybe try nitrous after i get everything going smooth, maybe a Zex system as i have heard good things about them. I plan on going with a decent susp. setup until i can save up for Teins.

So as far as the motor, this is what i have come up with. I just want some opinions on this setup and maybe some feedback from people who have tried something similar. What i am looking at is an LS/VTEC setup, B16 head, B16 pistons, B16 Tranny. Now Remember this will be going into a CRX. My original plan was to go with a GSR, but a guy at my work, who has doen many swaps, and has been doing hondas for a few years says he has seen better results with this setup.

What i need to know is what ECU would i need to run, and what kind of programs are good for this? Also will any B-series axles fit?

Oh yeah, i am not sure which OBD i should get, Is there a big power difference, or does it really not matter?

Thanks

gsr is a great starting point for either NA or FI, I would 86 the spray, and it depends on which ecu you want to run and the corresponding year your motor is to the car and such, if rewiring is an issue for you.

also, fyi, wrong forum homie :)

oh shit sorry on the forum thing, i was looking at stuff in here and remembered to post this. Any mods feel free to move this...

So JD are you saying you would prefer the GSR over the LS/VTEC? And what i meant about the ECU is whether it should be out of a Teg (which one?), B16, etc.
If i could get about the same power from an OBD1 as an OBD2, then i would go with the OBD1 simply because then the OBD change would be easier, but then again it depends on mileage of the older motors and stuff.

And yes i know most people here on HS dont like to spray, but i just want to basically run a small shot, like a 60 or 75, just for some fun sometimes.

yes I would choose a GSR over the LSvtec, only for the fact that the gains are very minimal between the two, sure you have more CC's with the LS crank but if you bought the GSR motor you wouldn't have to spend the time and money to make an lsvtec, I would go wtih the odb1 for better gains.

:)just don't get too trigger happy with the bottle, I have used it before, nothing happend but I was running a 50shot on a miata motor, just be aware that shit can go wrong, and it woudl suck if you blew your motor up if it's your daily and what not.

good luck

i say ls/vtec, same obd, and is a little cheaper. plus you couldn't use any type r bolt ons if you went GSR. just my 2 cents.

if you plan on running autox you'll be in street modified probably..not a good idea if you're serious about autox

buy a obd-0 first gen b16 swap from hmotorsonline.com, buy a obd-0 ls block from your local junk yard. replace the pistons with the ones from the b16. replace the rod & head bolts with arp units. tune out your b16 ecu with a s-afc or whatnot if you get the chance. if not... you'll be alright. no hydro tranny do deal with, no wiring or obd conversions to hassle with. cheaper than a obd-1 or obd-2 swap and lots of room for upgrades.

Originally posted by silver@Jan 21 2004, 05:36 PM
if you plan on running autox you'll be in street modified probably..not a good idea if you're serious about autox

Like i said, i might just try it out if i get the chance. Basically this motor will be just for fun,. not really to seriously race. Mainly it will be jsut to drive every day, but i want some good power to have fun on the streets with the Stangs, Camaros, Supras, and maybe one day the occasional C5.

my friend has a LS/VTEC-fully built with a drag turbo running around-8lbs of boost in a 93 civic hatch , aem ems, apexi avcr, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and that thing is fast. he just got it dyno tuned at 406hp at 8lbs. he can have 4 ppl in the car and drop it from 5th to 4th and the wheels break loose. type r lsd tranny. its a nice setup- although it does eat some gas. 3/4 tank in 100 miles. that might be a little much for a crx for autoX, but drag its a good setup with slicks.

thats sounds nice, but how streetable is it?? And about how much would you guess is in his motor?

he dosent drive it every day,but prolly every other day. The kid is rich. He has like 5-6 cars that are all fast. He is pretty dumb too. he sold me a set of brand new 310cc injectors for 20 bucks-w/resistor pack. lol. As long as you dont really push the car too hard you can have no problem streetin it. any time mustang rolls up you blow em away. Lets see in his engine he has:
SRP pistons
Eagle crank, rods
arp bolts
darton sleeves
str block guard(i think)
skunk turbo cams
ferra valves
toda valve springs
cometic head gasket
unorthadox crank pulley
spearco intercooler
complete 4 inch exhaust(JIC I think)
vortech super fmu
apexi avcr
aem fuel rail
msd 72lb injectors
aem fpr
jg edelbrock intake manifold
72 mm tb
HKS super sequential bov
aem engine management system
aem map sensor
75 shot direct port nitrous(not used on dyno)
all in a 93 civic hatch back
Dont we all wish we were rich???
with all of this you could eat a c5 or a zo6 for an appetizer.

damn thats a lot of shit. Like i said, my goal is to run with the C5's, but thats down the line awhile. right now i am lookknig at just getting a decently built motor in the car.

Back