05 z06 beats porshe gt3 rs record on the track

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy

ring.jpg

this is pretty dam impressive considering its a production....

Translation of Article

Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nurburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.

The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.

It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it, it's the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that it's Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.

The objective is to beat Walther R�rhl�s laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - it's 7:43,0 min for the 20,8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.

The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.

[Splash in middle]

Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

[Two lower photos]

"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I'm going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.

The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it's a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

[About the track and the car]

"The street Corvette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs.

It's fast. At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap in between for both mine and the car's sake.

I couldn't have driven one single lap more. I wouldn't have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

nice. i like the fact they gave the z06's engine more revs compared to other v8s. isnt the corvette's engine a 7 liter btw? seems like theyre trying to beat mainly the Viper.

GTR Z-Tune vs. 05 Z06 anyone? :)

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jul 26 2005, 07:51 AM
nice.  i like the fact they gave the z06's engine more revs compared to other v8s.  isnt the corvette's engine a 7 liter btw?  seems like theyre trying to beat mainly the Viper.

[post=531236]Quoted post[/post]​

yes sir 7.0l 427ci small block 500hp 475lbs of tq 3130lbs :)

o yeah and i bet at $170,000 for the GTR-z is still looses to the z06 in all aspects.. )

gtr z-tune vs z06? the z-tune isn't even a production vehicle...

I have heard conflicting reports on this. Some have said that the vette that did the time was actually the "blue devil" which is a 700 hp beast that Chevy has been playing with for a while. If that is the case, the car is far from a stock car.

But either way, the new vette is EXTREMLY impressive and is the only thing worth while from GM.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 26 2005, 09:17 AM
I have heard conflicting reports on this. Some have said that the vette that did the time was actually the "blue devil" which is a 700 hp beast that Chevy has been playing with for a while. If that is the case, the car is far from a stock car.

But either way, the new vette is EXTREMLY impressive and is the only thing worth while from GM.
[post=531268]Quoted post[/post]​

lol..yes i bet it was from the porsche people ;)..its a production line z06....

Originally posted by corvetteguy+Jul 26 2005, 09:22 AM-->
asmallsol
@Jul 26 2005, 09:17 AM

[post=531268]Quoted post[/post]​

lol..yes i bet it was from the porsche people ;)..its a production line z06....
[post=531270]Quoted post[/post]​

"
From Dave's mouth to my note pad:
After a long discussion on all the various times of different (Non-Corvette) cars around the ring, using 8:00 as the benchmark for "world class" performance Dave announced:
A 2005 C6 turned the 'Ring in 7:59! (yes 7:59, NOT 7:56!!)
A 2004 C5 ZO6 did it in the already known 7:56
and the 2006 ZO6, driven by Jan Magnusson drove it in........
7:43
Dave said this time was already available on the net so it was not part of the August embargo.
Also it was NOT the Blue Devil.
Let the Bench Racing begin!
Crash"

Who's Dave? And them saying it wasn't, is just as suspect as Porsche saying it is, so either way...

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 26 2005, 09:30 AM
Who's Dave? And them saying it wasn't, is just as suspect as Porsche saying it is, so either way...
[post=531277]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, thats Dave Hill, Corvette's Chief Engineer...

Ahhh...even more suspect (takes out eye, sticks on "Dave")

I bet they still have plastic panels and a plastic dash.. GM won't ever get away from that.. But the 500 hp Z06 is just dead sexy in looks and power.. I hear they handle friggin awesome, too..

Another thing I heared: The floorboards are made of a carbon fiber honey comb.. Gawd thats awesome.

Originally posted by corvetteguy+Jul 26 2005, 08:28 AM-->
@Jul 26 2005, 07:51 AM
nice.  i like the fact they gave the z06's engine more revs compared to other v8s.  isnt the corvette's engine a 7 liter btw?  seems like theyre trying to beat mainly the Viper.

[post=531236]Quoted post[/post]​

yes sir 7.0l 427ci small block 500hp 475lbs of tq 3130lbs :)

o yeah and i bet at $170,000 for the GTR-z is still looses to the z06 in all aspects.. )
[post=531249]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah, the Z-Tune is:
1) Lighter *edit....actually its heavier...stupid conflicting websites...
2) Faster Top Speed
3) Faster acceleration (10 second 1/4)
4) Bigger brakes
5) Titanium everything
6) AWD
7) Better+stiffer suspension setup
8) Carbon Fiber everthing else
9) 500HP 400TQ Twin Turbo RB26DETT

The Z-Tune is the fastest production car ever built, period. And yes, technically it is a production car, there were 20 of them made, so it is not a concept. And not to mention it was based on a large-scale production vehicle.

That Z06 is very impressive, but not in the same league as the Z-Tune. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, it still a production Corvette.

But when you're talkin' to some fine milf at a party and she asks what you drive you can say, "A Corvette ZO6" and be in the pants.

If you say, "Skyline GTR Z-tune" she'll look at you funny and have no idea what you're talking about.

:sigh:

Chicks like to DRIVE/OWN VWs. They like to SLEEP with men who own corvettes. At least this is what the '80s and television have told us.

The point is, the corvette strikes a fine line between driver satisfaction and sex appeal.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 26 2005, 10:50 AM
But when you're talkin' to some fine milf at a party and she asks what you drive you can say, "A Corvette ZO6" and be in the pants.

If you say, "Skyline GTR Z-tune" she'll look at you funny and have no idea what you're talking about.
[post=531312]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah, I'd just keep the receipt handy for such an occasion.

..... It costs this much baby....

Welcom to blowjobville...
...population=me

:lol:

I really wouldn't give a fuck to that reaction, because I would NEVER date (or sleep with) a girl based on her opinion of my car. I'll leave the sluts to the rest of you guys.

Then you just look like you're desperate.

"What? You don't want to sleep with me?! But look how much my car costs!"

Bah. Whatever works I guess. Crazy canucks.

__

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 26 2005, 09:02 AM
I really wouldn't give a fuck to that reaction, because I would NEVER date (or sleep with) a girl based on her opinion of my car.  I'll leave the sluts to the rest of you guys.
[post=531318]Quoted post[/post]​

Who ever said anything about dating? ;)

EDIT: Argh! Pretty quick with that edit button, eh?

Back