10 pipe bombs, a chain saw and a sword

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95b16coupe

yep, pretty fucking crazy.

Hero teacher 'didn't have time to think'

In the moments after a young man detonated two pipe bombs at Hillsdale High School in San Mateo, English language development teacher Kennet Santana didn't have time to think about what he should do.

Instinctively, as students crouched for cover in their classrooms, Santana, 34, moved toward the explosions. He was confronted with the sight of the youth, wearing a tactical vest with what turned out to be eight other pipe bombs.

The teacher didn't know the devices were bombs. He also didn't know that the suspect, identified as a 17-year-old former student at Hillsdale, was armed with a chainsaw and a sword with a 2-foot blade.

All Santana knew was that this boy was a threat - and that he had to stop him. Without hesitation, Santana tackled the boy shortly after 8 a.m. Monday and yelled at other teachers to call for help. Principal Jeff Gilbert, counselor Ed Canda and Santana held the teenager down until police arrived.

Now, the campus community and authorities are crediting Santana with helping to avert what could have been a disaster: A law-enforcement source said the boy, whose name has not been released because of his age, nursed a grudge against some teachers and had planned to detonate all 10 pipe bombs before attacking students with the chain saw and the sword as they fled.

No one was hurt in the attack, which began just as Santana arrived at school and was heading to the office.

"It just happened so fast. He didn't even think about it," said his wife, Angelique Vega-Santana, 35.

"Of course I'm proud. The first thing, though, that went through my head was fear, terror of what could have gone wrong," she said. "When I read what the kid actually had and what he was planning to do, the whole thing kind of overwhelmed me, and it's still fresh."

Hillsdale remains closed today while officials clean up from Monday's incident, but Santana was back at work and meeting with other staffers.

Vega-Santana said her husband, who has taught at Hillsdale High since 2007, "is the most loyal person I know, and integrity is like his middle name." The couple have a 23-month-old daughter and live in San Francisco.

Classes at Hillsdale will not resume until Wednesday. "The district will need time to examine and repair the site in order to ensure student safety," officials said on the Web site of the San Mateo Union High School District. Those who left belongings on campus will be able to pick them up once the "site is secured," officials said.

Students, parents and staffers who need a place to go today can report to the San Mateo Adult School at 789 East Poplar Ave. Counselors, psychologists and teachers will be available there.

The chaos began shortly after 8 a.m. Monday when the teenager made his way through the school with bombs secured to a tactical vest, said San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer. The youth lit two of the pipe bombs and threw them in a hallway near the school library.

After the suspect was subdued, police descended on the school at 3115 Del Monte St. and evacuated students and staffers to a nearby middle school, then combed the campus in search of more bombs and evidence.

The school year at the 1,200-student campus began last week, and classes had just begun Monday when the youth came onto campus.

Officers cordoned off the youth's San Mateo home in the Villa Serena Apartments on Casa de Campo with crime scene tape and evacuated nearby units for several hours as they searched the suspect's home, neighbors said.

Those neighbors described the teenager as shy and reclusive, saying he rarely ventured outside.

"He was just a really quiet kid. Not many friends. He kept to himself," said April De Guzman, who lives nearby and has known the suspect since middle school.
Neighbors said the boy has lived with his mother and a sister in the complex of two-story, townhouse-style apartments for several years.

"It's strange," said neighbor Annette Stevens. "You never know who's living next door to you."

Read more: Hero teacher 'didn't have time to think'

:thumbsup: to the teacher

we need to ban pipes, chainsaws, swords, and tactical vests... we can not risk something like this happening again

also, we need to ban fireworks because they may provide the fuses and gunpowder necessary.
or we can ban schools.....

Without hesitation, Santana tackled the boy shortly after 8 a.m. Monday and yelled at other teachers to call for help. Principal Jeff Gilbert, counselor Ed Canda and Santana held the teenager down until police arrived.

In b4 boy's family sues the teacher for injuring their child.

Santana was a teacher, not a cop, he was un-trained and probably traumatized the 17yr old. The 17yr old is probably taking drugs to control his behavior so its not really his fault. Santana should have allowed the authorities to come to the scene and properly handle the situation.

the police followed by illegally confiscating all weaponry and will be sued for loss of goods and any other possible increased value of said assets.

Ive been saying this for several years but we are about to enter an era where guns will be left at home and explosives will be used. Next up is gelled gasoline.

I second the motion that everyone involved here is going to get the shit sued out of them. And chances are the dumb asses will win. Welcome to the New Amerika.

The teacher didn't know the devices were bombs. He also didn't know that the suspect, identified as a 17-year-old former student at Hillsdale, was armed with a chainsaw and a sword with a 2-foot blade.

Ok... I'll give him the 2 foot long sword.. and the 10 pipe bombs, but how the fuck do you conceal a chain saw?

thats a good idea.
maybe we should just ban anger? or ban teenage emotions. you know, no signs of emotion are allowed.
oh.... wait..... they already have the majority of the student population on some sort of attention deficit drug, so they already have that one under way.

OR, now wait until you finish reading to make a judgment on this, i know its a little out there....

but, we could just do what used to be done and was proven effective for generations: punish the little fuckers? you know, good paddling like we used to get when we were young.
a smack across the mouth when you call your mom a bitch or you father an asshole.
good old fashioned punishment.
didnt have school shootings back then, or at least not as many.

but now that kids run the place, staying on the computer and video games all day instead of being outside actually doing things, and unable to be punished, we get this.

this is the product of government interference.

Well computers and video games have nothing to do with teenage emoism. I played on the internet and such when I was a kid, but I also played 3 sports a school year and summer ball as well. Its just parents/teachers just dont give a shit anymore. Nothing is EVER their fault, its the fault of the interwebz, stress, global warming blah blah blah. Accountability has gone out the window.

punish the little fuckers?

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!

its not their fault they "act out"
its also not their sorry ass parents fault
its not the schools fault
or the elitist clique system in the schools fault
its not the fault of the media that sensationalizes mass murders

im not really sure who's fault it is... but its definitely not any of those

i blame George Bush

is it too late to blame christopher columbus for discovering america in 1492?

ooo good call

although Columbus didnt know where he was... how bout we blame Amerigo Vespucci

Back