15"s This, 17"s That...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i hear everyone ragging on 17 inch wheels. i read all the forums explaining about rotational inertia and shit, so i understand why 17"s=slow on a honda. everyone says get 15s instead. But what about 16s, no one ever talks about them, is there some hidden urban legend about the 16" wheel i dont know about? i was looking at the 16" Rota slipstreams at alljdm.com to go on my 90 crx, i think they would look pretty damn sexy IMO. not to big, not too small. what do ya have to say...?

I have 17s. You just need the engine to pull em if 17s are what float your boat. Obviously for track day take them off. But everyone and their friggen mother has slipstreams now. I got my 17s right when they came out, and to this day I think I have only seen one other car with them, and it was on the internet.

Yes they are heavier, but it's all about what you want man. If you like 17s for the street, get them. If you like 15s get those. There is no question the 15s will be faster, but for me it's all about balancing looks and performance, and having 17s was just really important to me.

I like 16's,but 15's are usually cheaper.Haha I'm a cheap ass.

thats exactly what i was talking about... (the hidden urban legend)... usually 16's arent mentioned in aftermarket wheels, so why would the tires? but too Liquid00meth, I live in PA, and everyone around here only worries about their mistsu's with 18" dubs (< if they even make those?) :puke:

Originally posted by creepinRex@Mar 12 2003, 08:54 PM
thats exactly what i was talking about... (the hidden urban legend)... usually 16's arent mentioned in aftermarket wheels, so why would the tires? but too Liquid00meth, I live in PA, and everyone around here only worries about their mistsu's with 18" dubs (< if they even make those?) :puke:

Dubs means 2.. thus 20" rims.. double dubs is 22" rims.

18's are not dubs. :)

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Mar 12 2003, 09:21 PM
Dubs means 2.. thus 20" rims.. double dubs is 22" rims.

18's are not dubs. :)

You learn something every day. The major diffrance between 16's and 15's is weight. 1 inch may not seam like alot but look at circuit 8's for example...

Rota Circuit 8 15 x 6.5 Cast 11.5 lbs
Rota Circuit 8 16 x 7 Cast 15.5 lbs

Here you actually have 2 factors, .5 inches to the side and 1 more inch diameter but you get my point.

Basicly you want to run the smallest tire possible that your brakes will fit under for speed. For handling, there is some insentive for bigger wheels but once you go too big, rotational inertia over comes the benfits.

Acceleration in Phyics is not just speeding up strait, it also happens everytime you turn your car (that is why you measure lateral acceleration) so the rotational inertia stuff still applys.

As for the non geeky side of it, think money. I just bought a set of potenza's s03 pole postions in size 195-50-15's for 79 a tire at TireRack.com. Now go to 16's (my dads mini coopers size) his would be 130ish. $50 diffrance times 4 is 200 a set. That can almost buy an exhaust system (muffler shop special of course)

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Mar 12 2003, 09:01 PM
+1 is all you should go imo, if your car comes stock with 14's then get 15's and so on.

So your saying I should only be runninf a 14" on my rex. ha that's a laugh

my fault domeskilla, i thought dubs are those wheels you see all those SUV's on that keep on spinning when the fuckin thing stops... but newase... i think 15 are a lil too small style wise... i want efficient and nice, so why not go inbetween. does ne one have pics of the same, 15" &16" on a crx... i look on tirerack.com so i can actually see the difference, but their picture quality is shit. <_<

14's are on an si crx, i meant that each car at its best setup. gsr 15's , crx 14's, eg 14's. then plus 1 and no bigger, like i said imo.

Originally posted by creepinRex@Mar 12 2003, 11:11 PM
my fault domeskilla, i thought dubs are those wheels you see all those SUV's on that keep on spinning when the fuckin thing stops... but newase... i think 15 are a lil too small style wise... i want efficient and nice, so why not go inbetween. does ne one have pics of the same, 15" &16" on a crx... i look on tirerack.com so i can actually see the difference, but their picture quality is shit. <_<

Go search for my pictures thread in Anything Goes... it's called "Mike Picture Spam" or something like that. There's a picture in there of my CRX sitting on 14" and 15" wheels.

Originally posted by creepinRex@Mar 13 2003, 12:11 AM

Spreewells

Originally posted by creepinRex@Mar 13 2003, 12:11 AM
my fault domeskilla, i thought dubs are those wheels you see all those SUV's on that keep on spinning when the fuckin thing stops

Those are Spreewells, Shaq has some coming out and Jesse James is making rims now. :) Not that it matters to the "Honda" people, but Shaq has 26's on his Hummer.

Back