1992 Honda Civic DX 4 door

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
I have a 1992 Honda Civic DX. Next summer I plan on performing some sort of swap on it. My question is, is it possible to make my car fast enough to keep up with an RSX type S? Is that reasonable? And if it is, what do should I do to go about it? I am very new to this scene. What would a car like mine with a GSR swap be comparable to?

Would I be better off just saving up the extra scratch and buying an RSX type S? Or can I modify my Civic for a reasonable amount of money including motor, suspension, etc?

I mean I like my Civic and all, I just want to know what is more economical.

Last edited:
get a K24 swap.....2.4 VTEC out of the TSX...youll leave the RSX-S in the dust...although swap will be expensive..i know will i can get you the whole engine tranny and axles maybe the ecu for 2 grand...just let me talk to the guy..u interested

I'm looking more for a B series swap, I was thinking a b18 of some sort.

Keep in mind I'm only 17 and money is definitely an issue. I would obviously have to spend a year so to save up for something like this. But in the meantime I wanted help building a couple of different setups on paper(so to speak).

Last edited:
I'm hoping for at least 200 whp. If more is possible it would be nice. I want enough so that I have a fairly quick car, but not enough that I have to start thinking about beefing up the frame. How reliable would a setup like that be? Because my Civic is my daily driver right now.

So a D16Z6 would run somewhere around $500+ depending on where I got it? At least that's about what I've seen looking on Craigslist and eBay. As for the turbo I have no idea what to look at, if you could give me an idea at what type, brand, etc, I should look at I would much appreciate it. Also what kinda of numbers for Psi would I be looking at? I assume it wouldn't be much.

You said longevity wouldn't be affected too greatly, what does that mean? Can I get 150,000+ miles out of a setup like that or would it be significantly lower?

Thank you for you help.

if you build it right, tune it right, and don't get greedy with power, then yes, it will last that long.

If I did decide to just save up for a B18, which one would you recommend? I'm not sure what B18 motor is street legal here in the US.

Assuming I was going to do the swap with my Dad, would I need any tools out of the ordinary. I'm just trying to get an idea of just how big of a project we'd be talking.

I just want to make sure I have a good starting point, if I do decide to do more modifications. From the research I've done it doesn't seem like you can take a D16z6 very far.

haha have fun with the bitch pin..u might as well lower the linkage wiht the tranny and then take it out..its a bitch to get out!! be the easiest..and if its his first time...doing a whole swap..from d to b...if its not wired for vtec ..its going to take him more than a weekend ..unless he has everything he needs sittin next to him..just grabbin and going..then a full weekends work..and a helpin hand would be good..and take lots of pics when you do!!

Would putting a short throw shifter on my car have any benefits? From the sounds of it, my Dad doesn't want anything to do with me modifying the performance of the car. When I suggested a short throw shifter he was like no, that makes the car go faster. And I was like......I don't think so. It just shortens the throw, so you exert less energy.

Answers/opinions welcomed. I know nothing about short throw shifters. Thanks for your help.

Yes I know, I'm bringing back my thread from the dead. But I had a question that was related to the original thread and figured it would be better than starting a new one.

short shifter INCREASES the effort of the shift, it shortens the throw, Also be aware if you live in a rust-belt area, replacing your shifter will involve getting under your car, dropping part of your exhaust, and bottle of PB Blaster with a nasty set of Vice-Grips. This was one of my first mods on my car and was nice little modification, but you don't wanna get crazy slamming through the gears.

If your dad doesn't want you making your car faster, Sell it or Trade it for a 5.0 Mustang, or something that is fast stock (SHO Taurus was how I got around my parents, 220hp Generic sedan, Sell for 1-2K)

Ok back to my original question. Looks like there's no way in hell I could afford the insurance on aforementioned RSX Type-S.

Car I planned on transplanting a new power plant into would be a 1992 Honda Civic DX Sedan.

So I've decided that I would like to do a motor swap of some sort. Does anyone know of any pages/sites that have detailed instructions for a variety of swaps? I'm not sure what I plan on doing, I just want to look at the difficulty of different motor swaps.

I'm thinking d16z6, B16 of some sort or b18c series. Huge difference in price range I realize, but I want to know as much about my different options as possible.

Can I get some insight into these different swaps if you have done any of these first hand?

Back