1996 Honda Accord 2.7 liter V6 latest to the list of hondas I've owned

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
So my family recently acquired a 1996 Honda Accord EX model with the 2.7 liter v6 motor. 6 cd changer, power windows and locks, leather seats a little beat up on the interior and exterior with the catch being that it's been stolen before, and the ignition was ripped out. So I replaced the whole lock cylinder assembly for the ignition this past weekend. The car has about 217,000 miles on it with a pretty long list of maintence items the previous owners have taken car of including recently replacing the brakes all the way around, the radiator, and the starter, as well as replacing the battery about 1 year ago. The car is automatic but honestly as a daily driver and technically my 19 year old brother's first car it's a steal considering the owner gave it to us for free simply because they were moving out of state and didn't want to fix the car.

However with the mileage being where it's at, and my brother and I both being honda enthusiasts were looking into our options in terms of performance items for the car. Nothing really major but we began to look into swapping out the small 2.7 liter V6 motor in favor of something bigger that honda offers but wanted to find something relatively straight forward to swap into the car. If anyone knows of any swaps we could look into or if the 3.0, or 3.5 motors swap in I would love to hear it. Or if anyone knows of anyone who has built up these 2.7 liter motors to any success I'd love to hear about it. I'll be honest when I say I know almost nothing about the v6 motors honda produces so any tips would be awesome.

The 90 degree C27 is completely different from the 60 degree J series motors. I'd say for performance, look into an H22 / 5 speed swap. I'm not sure what that entails as the v6 cars of that gen may have an entirely different subframe. I'd just keep up on maintenance and drive that thing into the ground. My aunt has that same car with over 300k on it.

The 90 degree C27 is completely different from the 60 degree J series motors. I'd say for performance, look into an H22 / 5 speed swap. I'm not sure what that entails as the v6 cars of that gen may have an entirely different subframe. I'd just keep up on maintenance and drive that thing into the ground. My aunt has that same car with over 300k on it.

Yeah, I'm afraid that there may not be many options out there for this car. The 98-02 V6 and I4 cars are exactly the same body, but the 95-97 V6 models had a slightly longer nose to accommodate the motor, so I don't think that the H22 would be a bolt-in like it is on the 4-cylinder models.

And yeah, the newer V6 engines won't bolt in either, and unfortunately there's virtually no after-market for the Accord C-series, so he may be SOL here.

I'd just get it running and looking good and maybe just do the basics - intake/exhaust, suspension, wheels, etc....

oh it's running fine. the car runs like a top. I'm about to do a full tune-up most likely, and I found a little build your own short ram kit that may work. A buddy of mine is going to look at the exhaust and see what he can do about a cat back. He designed and made one for his 01 TT a while back. But that's a bummer to hear about the swaps and stuff! I was hoping a 3.5 would fit ha ha but I really can't complain they took such good care of it we got a really solid car.

oh it's running fine. the car runs like a top. I'm about to do a full tune-up most likely, and I found a little build your own short ram kit that may work. A buddy of mine is going to look at the exhaust and see what he can do about a cat back. He designed and made one for his 01 TT a while back. But that's a bummer to hear about the swaps and stuff! I was hoping a 3.5 would fit ha ha but I really can't complain they took such good care of it we got a really solid car.

Oh I'm sure you could make it work with some customizing, but it's definitely not a bolt-in type swap...

Back