1997 Acura Integra LS Auto to Manual swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Long story....
I have a 1997 acura integra ls. A friend of mine, whom is no longer around, put a 5 speed manual in for me and I scrapped the automatic. This was in 2013. I tried to do my emissions here in Tucson, Az that same year, however I failed the test as it was pulling Auto Transmission codes, even tho the check service engine light was not on. I went home, called my local Honda/Acura dealership and spoke to a mechanic there who told me that I dont need the TCM anymore due to the fact that I now have a manual. I disconnected it. I live on disability as I was hit by a semi in my type r back in 2010, so I live on $654 a month, after bills, I have maybe $50 left to my name. With that being said, I had to wait until the following month to run the emissions again to see if I passed after I removed the TCM. In that month time, I called the Honda/Acura dealership again hoping to talk to the same mechanic I spoke to in order to get more information, to find out that he quit. The guy I spoke to told me, I would also need a new ECU for a manual transmission but couldnt tell me which one exactly. I got one off Ebay for a 1994 to 2000 for a manual. My car is a 97 so I figured it would work. I installed it and took it for a test drive, when I would drop to neutral or rpms wouls drop the car would die. I took it home. As I saod, after bills, I have maybe $50 left over to my name, so, I let it sit for about 6 months to save up money in order to possibly fix it on only $300 roughly. 6 months later I go to start it. It startes once then I shut it off, tried to start it again and the timing belt broke. It is now 2016. My car is in the shop and I should get it back today. Ive had to save up $1000 in order to fix my car and it has taken almost 3 years....to the point that I cant afford food so I go to the local food bank. They mechanic called today and said that on top of the broken timing belt, the head was warped, crackes and had 8 bent valves. Im on my way to go pick it up, as I walk 5 miles to the mechanic, I am typing this. Now that the car runs, how do I get it to pass emissions and remove this Auto Transmission code? Could the dying whem dropping in low rpms or in neutral be causes by the bad head and no compression? If I need a new ECU which number exactly? Please help.....sincerely broke and single mom.

Sorry to hear your luck, bad news is engine is toast and now ecu is least of your problems , using the given search bar and or google I found the ecu for your car is a P75 , and I will be willing to bet its probably throwing more codes, but anyrate its going to need a new engine, and not being rude but vehicles have maintenance example timing belt and water pump, owning a car isnt cheap

Oh wait you paid to have it fixed ? You could have got a used b18 for well under $500 , anyrate 100% need a manual p75 ecu and see what else codes its throwing its not going to be a few hundred bucks though

Sorry to hear your luck, bad news is engine is toast and now ecu is least of your problems , using the given search bar and or google I found the ecu for your car is a P75 , and I will be willing to bet its probably throwing more codes, but anyrate its going to need a new engine, and not being rude but vehicles have maintenance example timing belt and water pump, owning a car isnt cheap
I had just had a new timing belt put in the year before. Didnt cross my mind to check it as I only drive maybe 500 miles a year if that. Engine is still moving per the mechanic. He said that the pistons are still moving up and down.

Oh wait you paid to have it fixed ? You could have got a used b18 for well under $500 , anyrate 100% need a manual p75 ecu and see what else codes its throwing its not going to be a few hundred bucks though
I have a manual ecu not sure which number as its in the car at the shop. Ill have to check. The emission place stated back in 2013, the only code was the Auto Transmission code. Thank you for all your help!

Can I leave the TCM out of it and use the ECU for a manual or will I need to keep the TCM in the car as well?

So update.....the car starts but dies right away. Harness has been rewired for the manual tranny. Everything has been pretty much redone and brand new. Including sensors. I asked if the mechanic thought it was the cam shaft position sensor but he said its not. He is thinking the ecu needs to be reprogrammed for the manual transmission and all the new work its had done. Could a faulty ecu cause it to start by die right away?

if the motor remains the same thats gonna be your problem no way around it. B18b's or b20s are dime a dozen get a new one and pop it in there.

Back