1999 prelude project / conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Brucyec

Hey i have a 1999 prelude 2.0 manual sohc currently out of mot i live in the uk was contemplating going 2.2 turbo before putting it back on the road was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on good parts and what i need to do seen a few turbo kits online but am not sure whether to just buy a kit or make a home made one and is the h22a5 the same layout as the f20a4 bar the obvious second cam meaning as in are the plugs from dash to engine loom the same any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Howdy,

We didn't get that engine choice here in the states (2.0) so i'm not 100% sure about it.
The swap should be pretty straight forward. f/h series mount points are the same and most of the wiring should reach. If it's a single cam vtec, most of the wiring is done for you as well. The missing things potentially are the knock sensor, the IAB control for the manifold butterflies.

The major consideration is what ECU to use. most obd2 cars (96+), specifically 98+ model years, have immobilizers on the ecu that must match the key. Most folks simply convert to obd1 ecu's with a jumper harness to get around this. I'm not sure what the emissions laws are there, if they do obd2 port scanning, or if the ecus are even fitted with the immobilizer.

I would suggest getting the swap in and the car up and running before you look into turbo setups. It will make diagnosing problems easier as less has changed.

Yeah was gonna put the h22 in run it for a few month take it back off the road then look into turbo was also advised to run a p28 ecu as apparently it would be compatible for if i was going turbo unsure if it would work just as well with the h22 but guess its gonna be trial and error to see if it works

p28 is obd1, so you'll need to do a conversion harness. it also doesn't have iab control, so you'll want to get an aftermarket intake mani that doesn't require that feature (skunk2 style). It of course will need to be chipped as well for the h-series larger injector size

Back