1st gen B16a head noise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Korax

Ok, so this is the second time I have swapped this same B16 into one of my cars. When I pulled it I knew it needed a new cam cap seal and it had very noisy LMAs. They were the original hydraulic style and you physically couldn't push a few of them down with a screw driver.

Before I swapped it in to my new hatch I half disassembled the head to put the newer style spring type LMAs in my self. A new metal cam cap. I also had a set of 92-93 GSR cams that I had bought polished at the machine shop. I was very detailed about both the assembly and disassembly. Everything went back in the way it came out with proper Honda torque specs on every bolt and with assembly lube.

Basically I'm still getting the same or similar noise to what the old sticky LMAs sounded like. I just did a compression test 5 minutes before typing this and the results were 1:180 2:178 3:180 4:179. I have taken the valve cover back off a few times and never noticed and metal flakes or anything to assume there is damage being done. I figured the new LMAs would solve the issue, do they have to break in or something? I have only put about 90 miles on it since it was installed in this car.

I haven't. Eh, I should have thought about that. Guess I need to pick up a new tool so that I can do it. Thanks!

i had a first gen b16 for good while once, and the valvetrain would get noisy after 40-50k miles and after adjusting it would quiet back down. i was also ripping it to 8500 regularly.

Thanks guys! Most of my intake valves and a a few on the exhaust side were out of spec. \Some by like .003...:ph34r: It sounds way better now. It was an easy job with the right tool, should have done that sooner.

Back