2.3 PRELUDE TO 2.3 VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay folks have searched the internet for final info before i go ahead with this but need a few questions answered
Will the engine bay wiring loom need changed ?
the stock 2.3 gear box will work have found out
ecu will have to get changed yes/no?

other alternative is the old cylinder head swap what is involved there my current engine has only done 60,000miles on a J reg so what would be involved there please help me guys n gals am wanting to do either or asap cheers topic is convert to 2.2 vtec

what the hell are you asking here?

you want to do an H22 head swap onto an H23 block?
or you're getting an H23 vtec swap?
or you're going from H23 motor to completel H22 motor?

if you are running an H22 head you NEED a P13 H22 vtec cmputer, or something else chipped to run an H22, so yes ecu must be changed...

H23 tranny(gear box) will work, but you are gonna fall out of vtect between 1st and 2nd gears... you will be much happier with an H22 tranny

you can change the harness or use your stock harness and add the needed wires...

want to do either the complete 2.3 engine rip out and 2.2 vtec in
or
Do the cylinder head swap but dunno whats really involved with that ?
any ideas bout the cylinder head swap

did you search here or on google about this swap???

nothing too major to worry about...
use stock mounts, H22 tranny is preferable over H23 tranny

and you need to wire vtec etc... and use a vtec computer

have got a car performance place were i live and the checked most of it for me so the 2.3 engine mounts wont work then have got the decat done would that effect vtec at all and the pretensior system for the timing belt

and send bobvilla $5 bucks to change your name....to 2.2......thats it

2.2>2.3......

sorry im confusing you m8 the 2.3 mounts will work then ?yes what bout the decat system ive got heard that can cause abit of bother with the vtecs was told that by freeflow scotland who do custom exhaust building is that true

you can run your exhaust cat free, but its gonna smell like rotten eggs...

also you will need a new down pipe for the H22A (assuming you have the header that goes with the H22). The header from the H22 will not bolt to the H23 down pipe.

You then have to add 3 wires for the VTEC system, and then you should be done. I havent had any other problems with my swap.

ok, here's the deal. mounts work, you need a head (and accessories), and anything that touches the timing belt to be h22, you also need the black pipe in the back to be h22 along with the thermostat housing. Make sure you take out the oil control orifice from the block so you dont have to run an external oil line from the block to the head. the header has to be h22, you can use the h23 powersteering brack with slight modification, you have to grind out a little corner. I personally would use the p28 ecu so you have vtec, IAB and Knock sensor incorporated in there. You also need to put in wires to the vtec solenoid for it to work. It's honestly a pain in the butt tracking the parts, especially ordering them from a honda dealership. So with that said, Don't do this swap if you dont have both full engines readily availible to your disposal and also if this is your only daily driver. Stick to a straight h22 swap!

forgot one thing...order the hydrolic tensioner for the H22...that spring tensioner is RUBBISH (watching a LOT of top gear)

Well looks like it might be the fully vtec swap have done a few engine swaps in my time but from what has been said it should be easy you can wire the vtec solinoid straight into a vtec controller cant you instead of wiring it threw the ecu can't you ? correct me if im wrong

okay staright engine swap got the engine wiring loomb the day for £20 and was just wondering if it is the straight 2.2 full engine swap what ecu to use i can get the p28 or the p13 what is the best to get :worthy:

P13 is better to use, has stock H22 fuel and ignition maps...

vtec controller is a hack, just properly wire the P13...

forgot one thing...order the hydrolic tensioner for the H22...that spring tensioner is RUBBISH (watching a LOT of top gear)

i have heard a lot of people having problems with the hydro tensioners...
something about loosing pressure at high revs and letting the belt jump teeth...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 4 2005, 02:17 PM
P13 is better to use, has stock H22 fuel and ignition maps...

vtec controller is a hack, just properly wire the P13...

i have heard a lot of people having problems with the hydro tensioners...
something about loosing pressure at high revs and letting the belt jump teeth...
[post=535817]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Back