2000 Ninja 250 8k miles $1250?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
I've been looking for a small bike for a commuter. Something to get back in the game with.
8000 miles, near mint condition, small crack near mirror
this puke red/purple color scheme.

It's a little older than I really want, would prefer the newer body style.
But the price is pretty comfortable for a beater. Any thoughts?
My max price range would probably be about $2500 to throw at this idea.

ninja250r.jpg

The good news is that you can probably ALWAYS sell that for $1000 bucks next year or the year after or the year after.... kinda like an 88 civic.

Not that i have any experience with these bikes, but man the old red one is hideous. Seems like being patient and finding one sort of in the middle of these two would better for a beater bike.

Not that i have any experience with these bikes, but man the old red one is hideous. Seems like being patient and finding one sort of in the middle of these two would better for a beater bike.

well... the 250 was pretty much the same from 86-2007, then the new body style is from 2008-current
so there is not in between as far as looks go.
my only concern with being patient is the prices are going to keep rising from here on out until September.

I rode a 250 around for a while as a commuter. A great bike if its sole purpose is saving money on gas. Incredibly under powered and if you're a speed junkie (like myself) you will get bored of it within a couple of weeks. I owned a 1996 and they are very easy bikes to work on and easy to maintain. These guys usually run around 50-75 MPG depending on your riding style. They can get up to 100 MPG but that requires extensive mods, which as a beater I'm sure you're not interested in. I'm not sure how much you spend on gas but unless you drive an RX-7 or Corvette it might take a bit to get your money back.

The 2000 would be my vote because like Brian said you can easily get most, if not all, of your money back should you decide to sell it. It's not the most gorgeous bike but it's not bad looking either. Get yourself a Sarachu exhaust and do the FOG airbox mod and call it a day.

Last edited:
I'm digging cleveland cycle werks bikes, but that's just a little more than you're willing to pay I suppose.

So yeah. Buy a ninja 250. Drop it. Do zero maintenance to it. Sell it for what you paid.

was not near mint. small crack was about 10 inches long, only "small" when it was held together, dent in gas tank, left side peg and shifter were bent back
didn't idle too well.
the search continues.

i love that old ninja!

but i would love it more if it were black with red accents.

might expand the search to include a rebel 250.
i think that would be better suited to my commuting needs, but i'm gonna look dumb as fuck with my joe rocket jacket and full face helmet on a cruiser
0 fucks given.

You should be able to get into a decent SV650 for $2500. Not quite as thrifty (50mpg ish), but it will be far more entertaining.

Rebel 250 is actually a nice easy bike- friend had one in college. I thought it was pretty cool.

I'd jump on a sv650 for $2500 but I haven't found one less than $4k in my area yet.
The season is early, I'm sure something will come along. Would help if I really knew what I wanted besides 2 wheels, but that leaves me open to hop on any deals that come my way.
And you know how the saying goes... just like a moped, fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you with it...
I'd ride it like I stole it, just to say I did... equal opportunity... I'd even try to federline her.

Back